Signature Prints with Black Background

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JBouchard1
User

Signature Prints with Black Background

Post by JBouchard1 »

When I digitally sign documents, the regulatory body I belong requires me to use ConsignO to provide the digital signature. After signing a document using ConsignO, then later open the document using PDF-XChange Editor and print to a local printer, the signature prints with a black background, or inverts the black & white colors on the signature only. I have found under the Advanced Print Options, when the "Print Form Fields" is unchecked, the entire signature does not print.

Is there a way to print the document with the signature, and without the inverting the colors of the signature or with the black background?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Signature Prints with Black Background

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi JBouchard1,

Thanks for the post - Can you please send a screen-shot of Help --> About and provide a sample document? If you don't want to upload directly here, then you can send them to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this topic as a reference.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
JBouchard1
User

Post by JBouchard1 »

A sample document and the screen shot have been emailed to support@pdf-xchange.com.
Thanks.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks JBouchard1,

we have the files and will investigate and report back here soon.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi JBouchard1,

I'm not seeing this here - Can you please try the latest release and see if that helps?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
JBouchard1
User

Post by JBouchard1 »

I recently discovered that Acrobat Reader DC prints the document correctly, without the black background on the signature. I've also found that PDF-XChange Editor will print the document correctly if the "Print as Image" is selected under Advanced Print Options. I would prefer not to use the "Print as Image" feature as the document balloons 10 to 100 times the original size, and this would cause other issues if printing a complex document. The file size sent to the printer of the various options based on the sample document provided are indicated below for your reference.

PDF-XChange Editor (Regular print with black background on the signature) - 190kB
PDF-XChange Editor (Print as Image) - 22.4MB
Acrobat Reader DC - 1.06MB

Thanks.
JBouchard1
User

Post by JBouchard1 »

The latest edition works. Thanks for the help. I should have updated before contacting support. I've set Tracker Update to Automatically Download Available Updates to avoid wasting both your and my time in the future.
Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Glad to hear that worked for you! :D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

I'm having a similar problem, but with ALL fields. They all print in solid black.
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Installed Acrobat DC, prints fine - no solid black boxes for all fields.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello fletch,

Can you please check the build of the Editor currently installed on your machine (Help -> About), and if it is anything other than the current latest (356) - please update to that one?
If you are on the current latest build - can we please have a sample of the original PDF, as well as a picture of the printed result, as well as the make and model of the printer to which you print?

Kind regards,
Stefan
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720

Using the latest 9.0 build.

I forwarded scanned copies of the PDF-X and Adobe printouts to support.

Original PDF attached.
Blank_Traditional_IRA_Application.pdf
(112.21 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello fletch,

The current latest build is V9.1 build 356 - so can you please check and ensure you have that one?
As I printed your file and while it was to a virtual printer - the signature was perfectly fine and printed on white background.

Also - I can't find the files you sent to support@ - so can you please send those once again?

Kind regards,
Stefan
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Sorry, mean to state 9.1 Build 356. I had just downloaded it from the site.
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:59 pm
Also - I can't find the files you sent to support@ - so can you please send those once again?
Attached .
PDF-X Printed.pdf
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
Adobe Printed.pdf
(664.16 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello fletch,

Thanks for the sample files!
Can you please try to start the "Compatibility Mode" of the Editor - and see if you print from that to your printer, whether the result is better?
I could not reproduce the issue here at my end with my printers, so I suspect it is specific to your device, but we will need to test the "Compatibility Mode" as well, before I pass this on to our dev team for further investigation.

Kind regards,
Stefan
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Found out that one solution is to select "print as image" on the print dialog. Maybe Adobe does that by default.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello fletch,

It's unlikely they do that by default, as when you "print as image" - the spool file that is sent to the printer is quite larger, and as such "print as images" should only be used as a workaround. I am still interested to see if compatibility mode helps?

Kind regards,
Stefan
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

What is compatibility mode and where do I find that?

https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe9/ had no results
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Ok, found it on the Start menu. Made no difference.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello fletch,

Can you please try to print just one page of a PDF document (the one where the issue occurs), to your printer, but select to "Print to file" - and then send us this file so that we can take a look.
Ideally it would also be helpful if you can send us a link from which we can download exactly the same drivers as the ones you use for your device.
Then I can pass this .prn file and the drivers link to our devs so that we can investigate this further.

I presume that when you print to e.g. our PDF XChange Standard/Lite printer or to "Microsoft XPS" - the signatures are not black but with the correct colour, right?

Kind regards,
Stefan
spiceagent11
User

Post by spiceagent11 »

if posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.
fletch
User

Post by fletch »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:33 am I presume that when you print to e.g. our PDF XChange Standard/Lite printer or to "Microsoft XPS" - the signatures are not black but with the correct colour, right?
Correct.

As for print to file, I don't see how to do that. For me though, it's not important that this is resolved since I was able to print successfully using Adobe Reader - and I've never had any problem like this with PDF-X. Plus, I've printed a variety of forms like this lately. I'd just suspect the form has some odd characteristic that PDF-X doesn't handle. If it were the printer driver, then I'd expect Adobe to exhibit the same result.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/7902032/swItemId/bi-158263-5?ssfFlag=true&sku=
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello fletch,

It was likely a combination between the printing driver, our Editor and that particular file!
As if it was an Editor only issue - you would have been getting the same black signatures when printing to PDF as well.

Glad that you found a workaround and I hope this was a one off, but if it does happen again with another file - please do let us know!

Kind regards,
Stefan