Autorecovery not working. Where is recovery information saved?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi forum and Tracker Support Team,

after a crash of PDF-XChange Editor, unfortunately no Autorecovery of the crashed document is offered -- although Autorecovery is activated, with a 5 minutes saving interval.

Also, strangely, only one window crashed and not the entire Editor, i.e. another open Editor window continued to run perfectly. In addition, Editor does not offer me any recovery information at all for today, although I have already worked with various PDF documents for several hours today.

Can I manually look for any recovery information under a specific file path?

Thanks for any ideas
Regards
David
Last edited by David.P on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: URGENT -- Autorecovery not working. Where is recovery information saved?

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello David,

The usual path is %temp%\PDFXEdit

...but you can also access the recovery copies if you enable this option:

image.png

I hope this helps.

Regards.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Many thanks Dimitar, for the helpful information.

Interestingly, there are numerous folders like for example "pdfx-{09571710-1DA5-41F0-84C83510570BBCA8}" under this path, each however only containing 256 kB of data (in the form of two small XML and TMP files).

The actual PDF document from the autorecovery session, which, as the case may be, could be much larger, therefore seems to be saved somewhere else?

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello David,

The original PDF is stored its usual location, the autorecovery backup simply holds onto the list of changes that have been made to the document (the same items that appear in the Undo/Redo flyout menu), this is backed up periodically, and if the editor closes unexpectedly, this information is not purged like usual. The next time it opens, the Editor sees the remnant files and says "oh hey, something happened, better ask if they still want these!".

If it was possible to completely save the document in cases like crashes (and other situations where auto-recover kicks in) than having this kind of auto-recovery function would not be necessary to begin with.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi forum & Tracker Support Team,

Unfortunately, today PDF-XChange editor crashed once more, and took about 1 hour of work down with it.

Despite AutoRecovery being activated,
image.png
...the Recovery Panel does not offer any saved documents of today.

In the AutoRecovery path %temp%\PDFXEdit, I found the following files:
image.png

Please let me know what might have gone wrong here, and whether I can recover any of the changes made in the last hour from these temp files.

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi David.
Did you have Editor crash or PC crash/reboot?
Also, from file list you provided there is one strange thing: in folder pdfx-{D3....} there is file PDFXRecoveryInfo.xml (it contain recovery metadata like path to original file and changed objects timestamp), but does not contain file PdfStr5.tmp (it contain updated data and is required to recover PDF file).
Recovery panel offer recovery only when both PDFXRecoveryInfo.xml and PdfStr5.tmp are present and original PDF file was not modified since PDFXRecoveryInfo.xml was created/updated. In your case one file is missing, thus no recovery is offered. Do you use some cleaner or any other app that may delete PdfStr5.tmp?
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Victor,

I had PDF-XChange Editor crash -- and I don't use any auto-cleaner software.

This is what a flat view of the %temp%\PDFXEdit folder looks like in the meantime (after continuing to work with PDF-XChange Editor):
image.png
Now, there is no files of today anymore.

Do you have an idea what I could do to could repair/reactivate AutoRecovery for the future?

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David.
David.P wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:10 pm I had PDF-XChange Editor crash -- and I don't use any auto-cleaner software.
But file was gone, and I don't know why. Looks like we need to test AutoRecovery on your PC. It is very easy to do this:
1. Enable it with minimal interval.
2. Open one local file and modify it (for example add an annotation on first page).
3. Leave Editor for more that AutoRecovery interval to be sure that recovery record will be created.
4. Kill Editor process (for example using Task Manager).
5. Optional - check Editor temp folder.
6. Run Editor again. Recovery panel should display one file to recover. It may not popup automatically because of your settings, so please open it manually if needed using View -> Panes -> Document Recovery.
If this does not work - we will need remote session to check what is going on.
David.P wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:10 pm This is what a flat view of the %temp%\PDFXEdit folder looks like in the meantime (after continuing to work with PDF-XChange Editor):
image.png

Now, there is no files of today anymore.
Normally Editor clean all temporary folder where no valid recovery information is found at start, so this is expected.
Looks like you have recovery data for several different documents (old ones). Do you really need them? Each additional sub-folder slowdown Editor startup time for a bit (and also there will be more records in recovery panel.

HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Victor for the analysis.

I will make sure to check the issue this way, and come back with the results.

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

We look forward to those results, Thank you in advance! :)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Victor & Daniel & forum,

a short interim information on this. Unfortunately, AutoRecovery is still not working (this is on build 336).

While temporary files are created in the temp folder of PDF-XChange Editor (%temp%\PDFXEdit), they disappear (most of them, sometimes all) immediately even if PDF-XChange Editor is killed with Task Manager or Process Explorer.

PXE Temp folder after crash before restarting PXE

PXE Temp folder flat view after crash after restarting PXE

PXE Temp folder flat view after killing PXE after 6 minutes

Accordingly, no recovery is offered after PDF-XChange Editor is started after a crash, and the recovery panel is then empty.

Thanks for any ideas. This is on Windows 10 build 1809.

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David.
Do you have some "Cleanup" software which may clean temporary files? Or maybe drive where temp folder is almost full?
You need to investigate why files disappear and fix this, otherwise autorecovery will not work.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Victor -- I use no software of this kind.

Strangely, the PDF-XChange Editor temporary files disappear within a split second when PDF-XChange Editor is killed via Task Manager.

The temp drive is here and there's around 40GB free space on the C drive:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\PDFXEdit
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David.
David.P wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 pm Thank you Victor -- I use no software of this kind.
But some program is deleting required files, so you will need utility to monitor which program is doing this. You may try use this one or any other with needed functionality. Please investigate and write here results.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Ok Victor -- will do and report back!

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks David,

Looking forward to your feedback!

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Re: Autorecovery not working. Where is recovery information saved?

Post by David.P »

Hello forum and Tracker team,

I still don't fully understand how Auto Recovery works.

I just accidentally closed a PDF document, after some editing, without saving it.

In the "Document Recovery" pane, this document shows up as "unsaved document", with the exact time I closed it (13:46):

However, when I open this Document Recovery entry, the document opens in the previous version, and the edits up to 13:46 are not present.

Then I just closed and reopened the Editor once, and now the top entry in the "Document Recovery" pane is no longer there.

Is this expected behavior, or has something gone wrong?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, David.P

The document recovery pane should only kick in if the editor closes unexpectedly, without prompting you to save the documents, such as if you leave it open and force close during a system restart. to be more specific, the "recovery files" are created periodically while the document is opened, and should be deleted when the document is closed normally. So if the app crashes, that would be the only situation where the files should still exist.
The "recovery versions" created here should simply be a log of changes that occurred since opening, think of it like opening a document, and clicking the "redo" button enough times to redo everything up to the moment it was last saved.

As such, there are two takeaways here.
1. It is expected that becuase you opened the "recovered" version, looked at it, and closed it normally, that it should be been removed from the recovery pane.
2. It it unexpected, and likely a bug, that you did not see any of the changes which were saved in that file upon opening it. If you can reproduce this reliably, please let us know so I can have our dev team weigh in on it and see what can be done to prevent or resolve it. If you could also provide a detailed step-by-step of what you do, and how you are "closing" the editor so that the recovery files remain in place that would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Forum and Tracker Team,

unfortunately, the document recovery still does not work reliably for me.

I just had to restart the PC via reset button while some PDF documents were open in PDF-XChange Editor. One of the documents had been continuously edited for at least 1 hour.

Nevertheless, PDF-XChange Editor apparently did not save any recovery information in the %temp%\PDFXEdit folder, although according to the settings it should have done so every 3 minutes:
image.png

In the %temp%\PDFXEdit folder, only the following can be found (which seems to match with the contents of the Recovery Panel):
image.png
image(1).png

The last time I manually saved the document in question before the crash was at 14:33:
image.png

The crash/restart happened around 15:49.

What could still be going wrong there?

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
igorlima
User

Post by igorlima »

Hi all!

Just want to report in that the autorecovery function also does not work for me when a crash of pdf xchange happens.

For me, the crashs I'm referring to are the ones reported in this topic: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38752&p=160193#p160193

I understand that these crashes are already being addressed, but I just want to contextualize my autorecovery problem, I already had data loss because of that, and to add my input in this topic.

The only time the autorecovery function works for me is when I close a file without saving it.

Thank you for the support!
Igor
PDF-XChange Editor fan :)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for these posts guys.

It seems things are not working as expected. I have asked the devs to look into it, but be aware that we have had to re-assign the dev for this due to staff changes.

I hope to have a discussion tomorrow with the dev who will take over this.

We will definitely look further into this.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

Unfortunately, the automatic recovery still hasn't worked for me yet. Luckily, there have been no major crashes in the meantime, where a lot of work would have been lost.

Today, however, I face the problem that my laptop had been disconnected from the network for some time and had also been in stand-by during that time. All that time a PDF file was open that I had been working on for a few hours before, and that resides on a network file server.

After waking up the laptop from stand-by I got the following message from PDF-XChange Editor, before the network connection could be restored:

Does this message mean that the "unsaved changes" are immediately recovered as soon as the file is reopened from the original location, even though that location contains an older version of the file?

Anyway, I now left PDF-XChange Editor in this state in order to not do the wrong thing, and to ideally salvage my yesterday's work on that PDF file.

PDF-XChange Editor also created the following recovery information:

(The original file size is 74 MB; and there are also a few more recovery folders from yesterday that may be associated with the file in question, however the above folder is the one with the latest timestamp)

Unfortunately, the recovery information seems to be uber-locked and therefore cannot be copied elsewhere while PDF-XChange Editor is still running.

I worry that if I close PDF-XChange Editor normally, the recovery information might get deleted for some reason.

What should I do now? Kill PDF-XChange Editor via Task Manager, and then try to recover the document, based on the above recovery information?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P
David.P wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:42 am After waking up the laptop from stand-by I got the following message from PDF-XChange Editor, before the network connection could be restored
This message will try to restore any potentially lost data, but if, on re-opening the file, we detect that the original document was changed elsewhere, the changes will be lost, the same would happen with the auto-recover function in this case. Clicking re-open is what I would recommend here since the result will be the same with both features. Though I should note that without knowing personally that the file is entirely unchanged by any other devices since you started working on it, I cannot promise that it will restore your changes, it is possible that it will only re-open the original document without any of the changes you made.

In the future, Do try to avoid letting the device go to sleep without saving changes, as it can cause complications like this (anything which disables the network adapter, or causes a network connection to drop temporarily can, in fact). Increasing the auto-sleep timer in windows would be recommended to mitigate this issue.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

just dropping by to say that unfortunately, Auto Recovery continues to not work for me.

While PDF-XChange Editor virtually never crashes, it does happen that there are crashes of one of my various PC's.

However, I have never been able to observe that anything useful is found in PDF-XChange Editor's Autorecovery after a crash that could be restored. There are always certain recent documents listed in Autorecovery, however never the ones that were open when the crash actually happened.

Does anyone out there have better experiences with Autorecovery?

Thanks
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

we are looking into improvements in how this works. I was under the impression we had made changes recently, but I could be wrong.

I assume this report is for the latest version of the Editor, currently 9.4.364.0?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Paul,

I just realized that I'm actually running the previous version 9.4.363.0 here.

In any case, I shall update and continue to monitor/report about the Autorecovery behavior.

Thank you,
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Thank you for that. in case the update does not resolve the issue, the Dev team has a few steps they have asked if you can follow.

1. Next time that a crash occurs, before you relaunch the editor, navigate to our temp folder:
%tmp%\PDFXedit
2. Backup this entire folder (copy it to your desktop or something easily accessible) ensure you leave the original files within it in place.
3. Re-open the editor to see if the error occured.
4 A. If it did, please zip the backed up temp folder, and email it to us for investigation.
4 B. if the error did not occur, and the autorecover is working as intended, that is great, you can delete the backup, and just kindly let us know all is well.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Forum and Tracker Team,

Here comes the next report about problems with Document Recovery.

My laptop just crashed while some PDF documents were open in PDF-XChange Editor. One of the documents had been continuously edited for several hours.

Unlike before, PDF-XChange Editor did save recovery information this time:
image(1).png
(Flat View of recovery folder)

I am using the portable version, so the recovery directory is located at
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\PDFXEdit.Portable

The contents of the Recovery folder seemed to match with the Recovery Panel, after rebooting):
image.png

The last time I manually saved the document in question before the crash was at 17:59:
image(2).png
The crash/restart happened around 18:34.

However, when I clicked on "Recover", the following error message appeared:
image(3).png

I have noticed that I have not lost many edits, so I do not need the broken recovery session fixed.

So, unfortunately, I still have not been able to experience a functioning document recovery.

However, the error now seems to be less severe than before, where no recovery information was saved at all.

I have sent the zipped recovery folder to your mail address.

Best regards
David
--

PS: These are the Recovery settings and the "About" box:
image(4).png
image(5).png
I shall update to build 364 asap.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks David, we have the files and are looking into it as soon as a dev is available for this.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

PDF-XChange Editor just crashed, immediately restarted itself and opened the previous session, however in the last manually saved state of the documents.

No current recovery was offered. The Recovery Pane only showed documents from yesterday and the day before, and the associated Recovery folder apparently still contains the exact same files as posted above on October 26.

image.png

image(1).png

However, I am still on (portable) build 363.

The crash happened when trying to scale the size of some pages. There are some bugs in the Scale Pages dialog that only occur with certain combinations of selected pages and enabled options in the dialog. As soon as I can reproduce the buggy combinations deliberately, I will report in another thread.

Issues seem to occur with certain combinations of the "Orientation", "Normalize", and "Scale Content" options.

image(2).png

I shall keep you posted.
Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

we have two aspects to this, we need to determine why the Document Recovery data was not there, and we also need to determine why the crash happened.

Is the crash document related? If so can we have it?

The dev team are aware of the Document Recovery issues but other tasks have taken their time. We are now in a position to prioritize this behaviour, the ticket RT#6283: Auto-recovery issues has been created with a high priority.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

has Document Recovery ever worked for anyone?

For me, it continues to never work.

Fortunately, at least, PDF-XChange Editor almost never crashes by itself 💁‍♂️
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, David.P

It always works for us, and our issue is that we cannot reliably reproduce the case. Can we either do a remote and watch you reproduce this or can you put together a numbered list of the steps you take that reliably reproduces the issue?

I feel like we are chasing our tail here and am keen to get some hard data on what is going on for you. What are your feelings about that? Remote or no?

Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello David.P,
David.P wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:52 pm has Document Recovery ever worked for anyone?
Here, the auto-recovery feature is working fine on multiple machines. However, the crash itself does not occur because the apps are extremely stable in my environment. At best, I have only experienced auto-recovery mode in the case where I reported a bug here (viewtopic.php?t=39769) (resolved in build 367) and in the case where the app crashes when the data transfer method is set to native mode on a specific scanner (plustek OpticBook 3600). Of course, the auto-recovery feature works fine when the process is forced to stop.

As for the scanner, it works fine if the data transfer method is set to memory mode, and the TWAIN driver for plustek OpticBook 3600 has already stopped being updated after the last release for Windows 8, so it is rather a miracle that it works. Other scanners work fine whether the data transfer method is set to native mode or memory mode, so I have determined that this issue is entirely caused by the outdated TWAIN driver and have not specifically reported it here in the forum.

It may not mean much to report that everything works fine, but just FYI.

Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

thanks to the Tracker Support for offering remote support. Since the feature seems to work fine for others, I'm assuming that I have some kind of configuration issue on my end.

The problem occurred the other day on my laptop. However, there I am running the 64bit version of PDF-XChange Editor as portable installation (using a little hack). Maybe this is the reason I'm having issues.

I shall keep monitoring if Recovery works, in particular on my regular installation on the main PC, and report back in due time.

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi, David.P

if you can do that it would be great.

We need the temp files again. When a crash happens:
Kind regards,
Paul - Tracker Supp
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

O.k. will do Paul!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Just a quick note to say that the recovery feature has been working flawlessly for me lately 🤞🏼

Thanks for the hard work and for the continuous improvements!

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David.P,

Happy to hear that, and many thanks for the kind words!

Kind regards,
Stefan