Insert pages - issues with bookmarks  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

User4455
User

Insert pages - issues with bookmarks

Post by User4455 »

Dear Support-Team,

I am having trouble with the Editor's "insert pages"-function (in my german version: "Seiten einfügen"). (Editor is up-to-date; V8)

Firstly, I would like to mention, that at the bottom end of the tool-menu, there is a section called "Sprungmarke". I understand that this controls where the additional pages are inserted. However, I feel that the word "Sprungmarke" is confusing in this context. Why not just say "Wo einfügen?"

My actual issue now is:

When I select "vor" (=before) and "Erste Seite" (=first page), the tool inserts the new pages before the old pages, as expected. However, the bookmarks of the new page set are inserted at the end of the bookmarks-list. I assume this is not the intended behaviour. Or did I miss something?

Cheers and Thanks in advance!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Insert pages - issues with bookmarks

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello User4455,

We've passed your remark about the translation to the person who maintains the German version - and he will comment here on that.

As for the bookmarks - yes they will be added to the end of the existing bookmark tree, but you can then sort the bookmarks in your merged file quickly:
Sort_Bookmarks.png
Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello User4455,

Attached to this post is an updated version of the Editor language file. Please just replace the file in
C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Common\Languages
with the one from this archive (extract it first), and you should see the word "Ziel" now instead of "Sprungmarke".

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
Strings.de-DE.7z
(125.89 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi '4455,

for inserting existing external pages, I'd very much recommend to simply drag the pages from Windows Explorer between the target thumbnails in the Thumbnails Pane -- or even simpler, between the target bookmarks in the Bookmarks Pane.

This even works with Word documents!

Cheers
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks David :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
User4455
User

Post by User4455 »

Thank you everybody!
David, this is amazing!

Stefan, thank you too for the detailed suggestions. In my humble opinion, it does not seem particularly reasonable to add the bookmarks at the end, when the document is, in fact, added at the beginning, but you may have your reasons. Also, the sorting function may help in many cases, but there certainly are cases, where bookmarks in the original are in an order, which does not precisely correspond to page numbers. Then, the sorting function would destroy that order. I also wonder, how the sorting function handles bookmarks that refer to the same page but to different positions on the page (or even the same position) (This is something I use frequently, often in Docs that have hundreds of bookmarks).

However, my (work) life is now much easier, so I am more than happy! Thank you!

Finally, thanks for the language file.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Insert pages - issues with bookmarks  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello User4455,

I am glad to hear you like it, bookmarks are added to the end of the existing ones simply because this is how the feature is currently implemented, We are always looking for ways to make items more intuitive. We may change this similarly to your suggestion in the future, but I cannot make any guarantees at the moment.

AS for the sorting function, it is indeed true that sorting would destroy the layout in some cases where sorting is not intended to be used, which is why we do not do it automatically, it is always a user choice, and if you notice that it did such, you can always undo (Ctrl+Z) the change before saving.
Beyond that, there is still manual sorting, and you can use Shift+Click to select and move multiple bookmarks at once, retaining their current order during the move. This might help to quickly resolve cases like above, where document B's bookmarks ended up below document A's because of a merge.

Kind regards,

Edit: I missed the note about bookmarks referenceing the same location, If these bookmarks have different names, they should appear in alphabetical order directly beside each other. If they have the same name, I am unsure of the development magic running behind the scenes, but you should consistently see the bookmarks in the same order afterwards, no need to worry about two identical bookmarks shuffling back and forth each time you make a change.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
User4455
User

Post by User4455 »

Thank you Daniel, for the detailed suggestions.
After all, I think I will now generally use the drag&drop-function, which is absolutely fantastic!

Cheers
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com
User4455
User

Post by User4455 »

Hi all,
I just found out (essentially by accident) that you can use drag&drop with word-documents, too!
I.e. you can simply drag a word-document from the explorer into the bookmarks-pane at the desired position and it will automatically change the word into pdf, insert it at the desired position and create a corresponding bookmark, which is labeled with the original file name (incl. "...docx").

This is just great! Do people know this?! Spread the word!

Thank you Tracker-Team!

Edit: OK, this has been discussed at lenght before here: https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24391#p101652
Anyway... Its great!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Insert pages - issues with bookmarks

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com