Fit to printer Margins default

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dalacor
User

Fit to printer Margins default

Post by dalacor »

I have always setup my clients to use pdf Xchange Editor for their pdf viewer. Over the years I have found we had issues printing certain pdf documents and we have always found its because we had to change Type from None to Fit to printer Margins.

• Would it be possible to set Fit to Printer Margins as default in a new update
    Failing that, can you explain the reason that none is the default setting given that none of my clients have any issues printing pdfs if Fit to printer margins is set.
    Is there a registry setting that I can apply to change this default, in the event that you do not wish to change the default behaviour in an updated version
Thank you
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Fit to printer Margins default

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello dalacor,

This setting should retain the last option used, even between sessions, and I apologize for the inconvenience caused when you updated recently. If you create/modify the following registry keys, you can force the Editor to use the fit to pages option, but do note that these will be overwritten as soon as a user changes any of these print options and clicks print.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Operations\PrintPages]
"i.ScaleType"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Operations\PrintPages\PagesRange]
"i.Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Operations\PrintPages\ScaleBook]
"d.Gutter"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
dalacor
User

Post by dalacor »

Hi Daniel,

Just to clarify a couple of points.

The setting does retain the last option used. We have never had an issue with losing the setting. The issue is not as a result of a recent update. The problem I am referring to is that the default setting when installing the program is for none to be the default. This has been the case ever since we started using pdf xchange editor years back. Once the setting has been changed to Fit to printer margins, that setting stays applied.

What I am requesting is that the default setting when you install the program or update the program should be to Fit to printer margins. Currently the default setting when installing the program is none as default which causes problems with some printers. Whereas Fit to printer margins does not seem to cause any printing issues so should be default.

Thank you
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello dalacor,

I see, Thank you for the input, I will pass this to our Development team for consideration. I am unsure if it will be implemented, but know that it will certainly be considered.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
dalacor
User

Post by dalacor »

Thank you.

I think the more relevant question is why the default is set to none when this causes problems with some printers. Setting as fit to printer margins has caused no issues that I am aware of. So while you can request changing the default, it might be more helpful to ask what advantage there is to the current default.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Delacor,

Currently None is the default as it allows users to notice at a glance that they are probably printing to the wrong device, or paper size, and quickly make those changes. Beyond that, this has been the default for a very long time, and if we were to suddenly change it, it would certainly cause no small amount of trouble for a large number of users.

In terms of issues, there should not be any noticeable issues with it beyond what I mentioned above, it is simply a case of "this is how it has always worked". You may have noticed the backlash when we implemented the new "Ribbon UI" that was very highly requested, because we made it the default, we still offered the "Classic UI" but as it was not the default many users simply did not even look and assumed that was how it would work from now on, until we came along and pointed out the option to switch.

Adding new features, is one thing, and bug fixes are of course critical, but changing defaults that have existed for a very long time is something that much consideration must go into beforehand, as it will always cause more issues than anticipated.

As it stands, you are the only user we have seen make a request about this. If more people come along to support this, we may reconsider changing it, but currently, it is looking unlikely.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
dalacor
User

Post by dalacor »

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I am a bit confused.

Changing the setting from none to fit printer margins does not change the printer, page size. See the pic that I uploaded for the setting that I am talking about. I tried changing this now. It does not change the printer or page size.
Attachments
margin.jpg
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Delacor,

Yes, that is intended, and you see no differences due to the fact that you are using the correct paper size for the currently selected document. If you were, for example using an A3 document instead of an A4 you would see more differences. the End result is that "None" is a more universally acceptable option, as it makes no changes in any circumstances, the "fit" and "reduce" options can scale a document, to match the printer page size, which while handy in your particular case, is not what everyone wants to happen.

As I mentioned before, we may consider it in the future, but I cannot make any promises, for now, the best I can offer is a reminder that you only need to change this once, and the Editor will remember the setting from that point on.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com