Causes of - errors detected in the XREF table

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dalacor
User

Causes of - errors detected in the XREF table

Post by dalacor »

I use an accounting program that allows me to save invoices as a pdf. It saves perfectly, but I always get an error message in pdf editor, saying - errors detected in the XREF table. When I re-save the pdf and re-open the message is gone.

Can you advise what causes it as I do not get this error message in Acrobat Reader or in Nitro. I have uploaded a sample zipped pdf file.

Thank you.
Attachments
test document.zip
(80.58 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Causes of - errors detected in the XREF table

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Dalacor,

This error message is presented when we have detected any potential errors in a document that we know how to fix. Generally speaking these issues are often minor, but if left unresolved can lead to larger issues within the document, such as file corruption and data loss.

Unfortunately, if you always see this after creating a document from this accounting program, it seems that it does not create the PDF's perfectly. Some applications do not attempt to detect these errors, and some, like Adobe, will usually catch them and fix them automatically without user intervention. We on the other hand believe that users should be aware when an issue is present in the document so that they have a chance to figure out what the cause could have been.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
dalacor
User

Post by dalacor »

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for explaining why the issue occurs with pdf xchange but not other programs. The developer of my accounting program would be happy to improve his product to address any issues caused by creating pdf's from within the program.

You are correct. The accounting program is probably not creating something as the issue always occurs when I create a pdf from the accounting package but does not happen when I open most other pdf's. Are you able to identify what the program is missing - from the file that I have sent you which has not corrected the errors yet. If so, he could fix the pdf creation in his program.

Thank you
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello dalacor,

unfortunately, I cannot personally discern what exactly is incorrect in this document, not being an expert programmer myself. They can likely find what is wrong by using some document comparison application, such as WinMerg to see what aspects were changed between our fixed version, and their original version.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi dalacor.
Problem is very simple - XRef stream has incorrect /Index entry.

Code: Select all

/Index[0 185]/Size 186
File has only one XRef section, which describe all objects in file, so this entry is optional. /Size entry is correct, since document has objects with maximum number 185, but /Index entry say that it has only 185 records instead of 186 required, and XRef stream itself does not contain record about last object (185, XRef stream itself). Normally this does not prevent PDF files to be opened by most readers, but does not conform PDF specification.
HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
dalacor
User

Post by dalacor »

Thanks to both of you. I have passed that information onto my accounting developer. Regards Robert
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com