Newline breaks XFDF-import  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

AnKeilha
User

Newline breaks XFDF-import

Post by AnKeilha »

I am using PDF-XChange Editor Version 7.0 (Build 328.2). It does not make a difference whether I try the following in the standalone editor or the SDK.

When I use the file working.xfdf (see zip file attached) I see the expected yellow rectangle with "text" in it (see screenshot-working.png). When I use the notWorking.xfdf (see also zip file attached) I only see the yellow rectangle without the text (see screenshot-notWorking.png). The files working.xfdf notWorking.xfdf are identical, except that there is an additional newline in line 5 of notWorking.xfdf.

When I, after using notWorking.xfdf, try to export to a new XFDF the text is gone. Thus, it does not seem to be a pure rendering issue but rather something getting lost during import.

On a side note: The old PdfViewer (Version 2.5 - Build 209.0) works pretty well (see oldPdfViewerWorks.png).
Attachments
Just to prove that notWorking.xfdf used to work in the old PdfViewer Version 2.5 - Build 209.0.
Just to prove that notWorking.xfdf used to work in the old PdfViewer Version 2.5 - Build 209.0.
Screenshot after importing notWorking.xfdf
Screenshot after importing notWorking.xfdf
Screenshot after importing working.xfdf
Screenshot after importing working.xfdf
XFDFs.zip
contains working.xfdf and notWorking.xfdf
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
DIN-A4-Testdokument.pdf
The PDF document I used for the import (for me it did not matter what PDF I used)
(9.11 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Newline breaks XFDF-import

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello AnKeilha,

Thanks for your post and report.
I've asked a colleague from the dev team to take a look, and we will post an update here as soon as possible!

Regards,
Stefan
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello,
any news on this issue? As this problem would occur very frequently with our users, we need to decide if we have to implement a workaround.

Regards,
AnKeilha
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello,
FYI: we have implemented a workaround for this. In short, before we import any XFDF data, we always use the following formatting step:

new XMLOutputter(org.jdom.output.Format.getCompactFormat()).outputString(annotsElement);

(see http://www.jdom.org/docs/apidocs.1.1/or ... pactFormat() )

This solution seems to work for us. I would appreciate to get notified, in case you see any problems with this workaround. Looking at it from an XML perspective, the reformatting shouldn't really break anything, but of course it should not really fix anything either :wink: .

Regards,
AnKeilha
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi AnKeilha,

I was about to raise a support request ticket to track the investigation of this when I realised you are using V7 Build 328.2 We will need you to test this in the current build 8.0 331.0 as any fix will need to be in a future release.

regards

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello Paul,
I repeated the same test as above using version 8.0 build 331.0 and - unfortunately - got the same result:
Test result using V8.0 build 331.0
Test result using V8.0 build 331.0
Regards,
AnKeilha
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for doing that AnKeilha,

I have raised the support request ticket, while internal only, should you refer RT#4804: Newline breaks XFDF-import any support staff member will be able to get you a status Update.

regards

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

According to https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... #8.0.332.0 the Issue T# 4804 has been fixed. Does this bug/tracking number really refer to this bug? I tested it today with V8 build 332 and it still seems to be broken.

On the other hand, a different issue having to do with new lines and rich text (see viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32795 ) was fixed. Both issues seem to have the same bug/tracking number on your side (RT#4804).
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

So, my main questions from above are:

Sould this bug be fixed with V8 build 332 from your point of view?

Or are you still working on a fix (RT#4804)?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello AnKeilha,

The ticket was orginally created for this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32795&p=134552#p134551
And it is indeed marked as resolved.

We released build 333 earlier this week - so can you please try to update to it and see if the problem is still there for you?
(Please make sure to test with newly exported and then imported xfdf files!)

Regards,
Stefan
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

But T# 4804 was fixed with build 332 according to your release notes: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... #8.0.332.0
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello Stefan,
I know that viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32795&p=134552#p134551 is marked as resolved. I marked it myself. :?

On the other hand, a few minutes ago, I tested this bug (i.e. "Newline breaks XFDF-import") with V8 build 333 and the problem still persists. I was not really surprised, because according to your own release notes for V8 build 332 ( https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... #8.0.332.0 ) the issue T# 4804 was fixed with build 332 and I already did the test with build 332 (see above).

Both issues ( viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32795&p=134552#p134551 and this bug) seem to have the same bug/tracking number on your side (RT#4804). Maybe you need a separate RT for this bug (i.e. "Newline breaks XFDF-import").

Regards,
Andreas
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Ankeilha,

I am unable to reproduce the issue at this point, and importing XFDF data with newline's does not seem to have any issues here.
As you already mentioned that you are fully up to date, it is possible that a "repair" may be necessary. Could I ask you to close the application fully, and then open the control panel > programs and features, then double click our software from the list and choose "repair".

After that, please restart the PC and try once again.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

Hello Daniel,
in your test, did you try the XFDF file that is attached to this bug (see above or here...
XFDFs.zip
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
)?

Please, do not confuse it with the other bug that had to do with new lines in the rich-text content.

Regards,
Andreas
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Again Ankeilha,

My apologies, You are correct that I had the issues mixed up. It appears that due to my own blunder back in June, the two separate issues were considered as one ticket, so when the other issue was resolved, this one was swept under the rug.
I have created a new ticket, explicitly for this issue, and escalated it directly to the Development team to inform them this was reported months ago. It should see action as soon as possible, For reference:

RT#4907: XFDF Formatting, newline breaks import

Thank you again for your patience in this matter, hopefully we can resolve this for the next update.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Newline breaks XFDF-import  SOLVED

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Fixed. The fix will be included in the next build.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
AnKeilha
User

Post by AnKeilha »

I just tested this with a standalone PDFXChange-Editor (Version 8.0 336). We still have to test it using the SDK, but I assume that it will work just as well. Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello AnKeilha,

Yes - any fixes are applied to both the end user and SDK versions of the Editor, so if it worked for you in the stand alone product - it will be fixed in the SDK as well!

Cheers,
Stefan