Enhanced OCR not available?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

msys
User

Enhanced OCR not available?

Post by msys »

Hello,

Both in Tools V8 and Editor V8, in Preferences dialog -> Categories -> OCR -> OCR-Engine Options the 'Current OCR-Engine:' drop-down list is grayed out and cannot be changed from 'Default' to 'Enhanced' - like it is advised on https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... es_ed.html.

According to https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/ocr-plugin, I should be able to, having a license with active maintenance (bought for PDF-XChange PRO v7 version).

Please advise, I'm interested in this new feature and I don't know why is it blocked.

Regards,
ms
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Enhanced OCR not available?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Msys,

If the EOCR is not avalable, that would mean one of two things, Either your EOCR plugin was disabled, in which case you can reenable it from the Plugins preferences (a restart is required after this):
image.png
Or, your V7 license may have expired, and thus your trial to the EOCR would no longer be valid, In this case, you will need to Upgrade a V8 license with the EOCR plugin included in order to have full permanent access to the EOCR plugin.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
msys
User

Post by msys »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:41 pm If the EOCR is not avalable, that would mean one of two things, [...]
Well, here's the third thing: the plugin is not there at all and thus cannot be enabled.

How is this possible? That is because there is an installation/configuration bug that I've just reproduced under a fresh Win7 64-bit VM on VirtualBox.

How to reproduce:
1. execute the newest ProV8.x64.msi
2. choose 'Custom' variant
3. change the directory of the component 'PDF-XChange Editor' to non-default, like 'C:\PDF Editor\' (just an example)
4. all the other options can be left as default (version can be 'Free' or licensed with copy-pasting the license key - it doesn't matter)

Afterwards, the original problem occurs: there is no 'Enhanced OCR' plugin and the relevant OCR option is grayed out. Step 3 is the important one - if the directory is left as the default one, then the plugin appears. Also, PDF Tools now have the option 'Enhanced' - I suppose this is because I have not changed the default directory of PDF Tools above (I haven't tested this further). What is strange though, is that the file 'C:\PDF Editor\Plugins.x64\EnhancedOCR.pvp' exists, it is just - for some reason - not 'active' in the Editor.

Now, the question is, how can I repair my 'main' installation?

I don't want to change the installation directories and I don't want to lose my settings (not all of them can be backed up via exporting, for example currently opened tabs are not preserved somehow, so I don't fully trust this mechanism).

Please help.

Regards,
ms
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello ms,

Forwarded this information to our testers - we'll try to recreate the problem and see whether we can find a solution for you.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Not sure you want give it a try, but I would add a file "Portable.dat" in your editor's installer path and start the progam in portable mode. I am doing so for quite a while and all plugins are working (at least nothing has been grayed out)... :roll:
msys
User

Post by msys »

I tried adding 'Portable.dat' in both Tools and Editor paths and it didn't help. Additionally, after adding this file at least some of the Editor settings seem to have reverted themselves to default values. Don't worry though, I have done this on a virtual machine, so no harm done to my 'main' installation and thanks for trying to help.

Eagerly awaiting the response from the Team though ;)

Regards,
ms
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

@msys: Simply move the folder C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Common to your custom installation directory.
If you install all components in another custom directory, use also the base directory, if you just install the Editor in another directory, copy it into the Editor installation directory. But then, the "common" files won't be shared anymore.

@Tracker: I've already reported this here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29355&p=133021#p132980
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello All,

Thank you for the link BigMike, I knew we had gone over this already. Msys, as you can see in the other thread, we are looking at methods to resolve this, but it looks most likely that we are going to remove the ability to custom install each part of the application, instead you will only be able to specify a global directory for all of our software during installation. This is not set in stone, but I wanted to include it here as well.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
msys
User

Post by msys »

I copied the 'Common' and 'Vault' files over into the Tools, Editor and Standard directories and it seems that it helped. At least the field isn't greyed out anymore, so that's a good starting point - will test it further. Thank you BigMike! :D

For now the problem has hopefully been mitigated.

Still, I'm not really satisfied in the general sense.

How come that the simple (and serious :!:) issue of totally disrespecting installation directories both in the installers and the update(r)s is still unresolved, despite it being reported by BigMike back in 2017 :?: :?: :?: Instead new versions are only adding bugs and it looks like no one really tests the only option that you give in the installer (apart from the selection of the components).

There seems to be a huge disparity between the quality of the software (which is excellent!) and its installers, which makes me feel uneasy.

Regards,
ms
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Msys,

In this respect, the original issue from 2017 has been resolved. Bigmike first reported that during updates, the previous install directory was not retained. That issue has been resolved and is remembered on a per-module basis, the issues brought in the new update are due to the fact that we changed where some shared modules are stored, moving them into a Common directory so that tools and Editor can both access them (this helped to reduce the overall installer size, and speed up the process). This change however, caused the new issue in that the common directory is not part of either module during installation, so unless the entire install location is changed, the common directory sees itself install in the default location.

This brings us to the planned method of handling installation which I mentioned in my previous post, disallowing separate directories per module. I cannot say exactly when this will make it in, as it is not a simple change to make and there are some other possible options being considered. Know that we are working on it though.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

I have to say, that the problems reported in 2017 were ugly, but had no impact on the program's behavior.
In custom installation, there was simply no possibility to change the "vault directory" and to have to change the directories at each upgrade is annoying, but has no influence on functionality of the installation at all.

Really noticable defects are there since the release of version 8.0 in April 2019.

@Daniel: Sorry, I think you're wrong, the previous install directory is not remembered using the PDF XChange Pro installer for a custom directory, this was never resolved. At least it did never work here.
msys
User

Post by msys »

@Daniel: Seems to me that the approach you're considering would create more problems that it would solve. For example: what if, after installing everything via the PRO installer, the user later decides to upgrade only the Editor using the appropriate installer and would change its path during this update? Handling such scenarios would create a mess (I mean inside the installer's code). Also, handling the previous installations during the update to this new 'limited' one can become very troublesome.

If I could offer you some advice (being software architect by profession), if I were you I would rather get rid of the 'common' part of the modules instead and leave users the freedom of choice wrt the paths. This would waste some disk space (not much by today's standards, like a gigabyte or two in case of all the languages being installed later) - but would not impact the size of the installer, as the 'common' files could be stored inside once, and only copied multiple times during the installation.

Regards,
ms
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The problem is with "%ProgramFiles%\Tracker Software\Common" folder which is always created no matter of custom location provided during installation.
And some functionality in applications which relays on this folder will not properly when a custom location was specified. I accept that is our fault.
In a new build, we will change the location of this Common folder - now it will be located into "%CommonProgramFiles%\Tracker Software\Common" and all applications will use that standard location instead of a relative path.

In regards to remembering component locations - installer remembers and restores common folder which you can specify on the "Choose Setup Type" page of the installation, but not customized folders of individual apps.
And most likely we will remove an option to specify a location of each individual apps as it causes issues when these apps are using shared components.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
msys
User

Post by msys »

Well, obviously, you are free to proceed how you want. It just seems to me that you'll be creating a mountain of problems with different configurations. Just try to analyze the following cases:

1. previously installed PRO package but with the now-disallowed different paths for different modules; user is trying to update with a newest PRO installer; what to do with the paths and with the files added by the software in the meantime (dictionaries, etc.)? How to preserve all the settings if the paths are to be changed?
2. software being installed via different, separate installers (like installing Editor and Tools from separate installers) then trying to use PRO installer on top of all this; same questions...
3. removing and reinstalling (or simply updating) a single module from a separate installer and changing its path, while leaving all the other modules intact; how to detect this as a conflict and how to deal with it?

I believe there will be more but the ones above are both likely to occur and not easy to deal with - for example my 'main' installation will soon be the case number 1.

The above cases would all be easy to deal with if you would take my advice into consideration instead.

Unfortunately, both approaches will require a lot of refactoring I suppose, but mine is better :). Just saying. You're a Project Director so you can hire me and I will help :)

Regards,
ms
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello MS,

I've passed your comments to Ivan and asked him to review them.

Regards,
Stefan
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

Hello,

if you intend to remove the possibility of installing components in different directories, keeping "Common" in the base directory should work fine, I guess. (And as I stated in the "old" thread, this would be fine for me)
Removing or updating only single components with the same installer should work.
Using a single component installer to install an update, shouldn't work at all.

If you use %CommonProgramFiles% as Ivan told, you'll need change the implementation for the portable version, since there you need the current behavior and can't use %CommonProgramFiles%.

Splitting up the "Common" directory for each component, means you'll need to install and update for example the OCR language recognition files separately in Editor and Tools and therefore this is a loss of comfort for the user. Actually users could also easily update all GUI language files now and not only the ones for the editor if you'd bundle them on the language file page, if they don't want to wait for the next version.
msys
User

Post by msys »

BigMike wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:54 pm Splitting up the "Common" directory for each component, means you'll need to install and update for example the OCR language recognition files separately in Editor and Tools and therefore this is a loss of comfort for the user [...]
Whatever needs to be common between the different apps (like the language files) could - for example - be linked to via the registry, where there is not a choice of path as it is always the same (HKCU/Software/<whatever the developer chooses>). In this way the apps can 'peek' each other's files/settings/whatever and cooperate in any way chosen by the devs. Portable editions need to be exempt from this, etc, etc... - all of this just needs proper engineering and it is doable without blocking changing the paths to files (which imho should be avoided, see my previous post for reasons).

Such a decision is a big one and it is up to the developers anyway, so I'll end there.

Regards,
ms
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello

I am not quite sure if it is a good idea to add my question in this existing thread, but I give it a try because the subject still indicates exactly what my problem is ...

I completely uninstalled all Tracker Software from my Windows 10 Home Edition 32-bit computer. Cleaned up related temporary files in the %appdata% folder. Cleaned up Windows Registry settings in HKCU and HKLM.

After this, I installed PDF-XChange Editor V8.0.331 (using the 32-bit MSI installer) via Custom Installation, excluding the Updater component.

In the installation folder C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\Plugins.x86 the file EnhancedOCR.pvp is present.
However, the Enhanced OCR plugin is NOT in the list of plugins when I verify this in the Editor via Preferences > Plugins

For an additional test, I uninstalled again and used the "Zipped EXE installer (32/64-bit)"-package. Same result.

It seems to me that my Plugins.x86 sub-folder is really being used, because removing/adding plugins in that folder is correctly reflected in the list of plugins verified via Preferences > Plugins. It is only the Enhanced OCR plugin that is NOT accepted/recognized.

*** Can it be that the Enhanced OCR feature does not work in the free/trial version of PDF-XChange Editor or can there be another reason for this ? ***

Thanks for having a look and best regards.
BigMike
User

Post by BigMike »

EnhancedOCR.pvp should be placed in the plugins subfolder.

There needs to be a "Common" folder, which contains additional files, which are needed for the OCR plugin. The thread is about the placement of this folder.
As I don't use the installer for the Editor, I can't tell, where it should be placed. The base directory, where the installation directory of the editor is placed or the installation directory of the editor should work.
If this directory isn't recognized, EnhancedOCR isn't selectable and default OCR doesn't have any OCR languages available.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Thank you BigMike for your contribution to this thread.

I tried several places for a copy of the Common folder, but I still can not get that Enhanced OCR plug-in to be recognized by PDF-XChange Editor V8.

I hope that Tracker Software Support is coming soon with an answer to this problem.

Regards.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

*** Can it be that the Enhanced OCR feature does not work in the free/trial version of PDF-XChange Editor or can there be another reason for this ? ***
Yes, most likely that the reason. In free version or without a special key, Enhanced OCR plugin works in demo mode for 30 days from the first installation of V8.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I also got the problem that the Enhanced OCR plugin is not listed in Preferences -> Plugins.

This is a fresh installation, and "EnhancedOCR.pvp" is present in ..\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\Plugins.x64

What could be wrong here?
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

If this is a "portable" version of the software, that could explain why it does not appear as a plugin, EOCR is not intended to work with the portable version. Outside that, this issue can occur from time to time when the installation process is unable to perform a specific task. In these cases simply reinstalling should resolve it.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Daniel,

this is the installed version of PDF-XChange Editor, and I have already completely removed and reinstalled all components of PDF-XChange Pro once yesterday.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Enhanced OCR engine is still not available:

image.png
image.png
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Aha! Today I learned that the plugin will not appear in this list if you do not have a license key in place which would cover it. Can you please click help > license key, and ensure that your license key is present, valid, and activated, then restart the software, and check again?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes Daniel, I believe that with the license all should be good!

image.png
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Indeed it should be all good. Was that the problem then? Does the plugin appear properly now?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Nope, all looks normal, but the Enhanced OCR does not appear unfortunately.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Thank you for confirming that. Ive spoken with the dev team, and they would like to confirm
David.P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm This is a fresh installation, and "EnhancedOCR.pvp" is present in ..\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\Plugins.x64
You mention the "EnhancedOCR.pvp" here. The latest release should actually have EnhancedOCRa.pvp.
image.png
image.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
So if this is a new installation, and you do not se the "a" at the end of the plugin file name, you have likely not run the latest installer, or something went wrong with the installation. Can I ask you to uninstall the software, restart the PC, and double check our installation folder to ensure this has been removed?
If it has not, please delete the file, and then reinstall the latest version fresh from our official website, here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Please let me know if that helps.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes you're right Daniel,

The file I'm seeing indeed is called "EnhancedOCRa.pvp"

I have three of them like this:
image.png

...this is the x64 plugin folder:
image1.png

...and these plugins are available in Preferences -> Plugins:
image2.png

I already had removed all PDF-XChange Pro + Tools components totally, and re-installed everything from scratch yesterday.

This is actually where the problem started. Before, eOCR had always worked.

I also have done a couple of repair installations, without seeing any changes.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello, David.P

Thanks for confirming that. Ivan has asked if you could send us your full length serial key (via email for security) so we can look into it and do some testing.
I'm sure you know, but for easy access, that is <support@pdf-xchange.com>
Ill lock this topic for now so that we can continue by email for this discussion. If in the future, anyone else has this issue, please provide a link to this post and send us an email as well, to report the case, and we will work with you directly.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com