export pages as bitmaps with their original size and dpi?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Forum & Tracker support team,

is there a way to export pages from a scan-based PDF file as bitmaps, however with the exact dpi and resolution that the bitmaps in the PDF file have?

Thus, without specifying a resolution yourself as shown below, but exactly 1:1 with the original resolution?

Thanks for ideas!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: export pages as bitmaps with their original size and dpi?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello David,

Thank you for the excellent question, If there is only the one image that needs to be exported, you can always use the Edit content tool and right click the image to save the image itself our of the document directly:
image.png
image.png (30.42 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
This will allow you to save the image directly in its original format, without recompressing or any of that other business.

Beyond that, unfortunately I do not believe this is possible to implement due to the fact that this is only one piece of information on a single piece of the page content that we would need to look for, out of a massive possible selection, even without looking at the problem cases below.

What would happen if, for example, the user had added more than one image into a page, each with a different DPI, how would we decide which one to base the option off of? Alternatively when there is a selection of content that does not have a DPI at all, like comments? What if a page was added and there is nothing at all that stores a DPI value whatsoever, would we just assume a default low resolution option in this case?

Even if we assume that the user is making no changes to the document, there are a number of scanners our that that when scanning to the PDF format will create a document with a group of images to save space, one of these might be a "background image" with a very low DPI, but consisting of nothing but the color white, while there is a full color image at 1200 dpi because it needs to be pretty, and a paragraph of text at 600 dpi.

In my eyes, there are simply too many variables to create a feature like this and have it work consistently in all cases. I will certainly mention this among my colleagues to see what their thoughts are, but will not be creating a feature request at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Daniel, you are of course right with your concerns and questions regarding what the software should do if there is anything more than just one single bitmap on each page.

However, your idea of using the Edit Content tool and right clicking the image basically already solves the question at hand for me. Because by right clicking and choosing "Recompress Image", I can exactly see all details of the bitmap in question, particularly the DPI.

Afterwards, I simply go to the bookmarks pane and choose "Export", using the exact DPI number (and color depth) that I have gathered from the "Recompress Image" screen.

So, problem solved!

Thanks again and
best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Glad to hear it! :D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello all,

I have the same request as David.P about this topic.

As Daniel explained, I understand the implementation concerns that exist. However, it is also true that Acrobat has an "automatic" resolution option for a long time. If each page consists of a single bitmap image, it will be output in its original size and DPI resolution. It may not be possible to achieve the perfect automatic resolution feature, but even the "automatic" features implemented in Acrobat should be sufficient for the majority of users.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Best Regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello rakunavi,

Thanks for adding your comment here.
We have an "Extract images" feature in our PDF Tools - where you can export all of the images from a file, and if it is a "one image per page" scanned document - you can quickly get the images out of PDF and back into an image format:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hi Stefan,

I have just installed it and verified that I could use it the way I wanted.
As always, I am amazed at the feature-rich programs.
Thank you for the wonderful information.

Best regards,
rakunavi

P.S.
It seems to be possible to extract images without Demo stamps even with a free license.
According to the features listed on the product page, it should be only for licensed users.
I only have a Plus license, so perhaps this is something I should not write about and keep quiet.
:wink:
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I agree that the "Extract images" feature of PDF Tools mentioned by Daniel perfectly solves my original question, and I gladly join @rakunavi's thanks to the Tracker Team.

Best regards
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)