Thanks for the new version (3.30)...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Thanks for the new version (3.30)...

Post by Puffolino »

I like it :wink:

Just an observation: the core dll for 32 bit can't be used when being compressed by UPX anymore. Older versions never had a problem here (32/64 bit), not sure if this change has been done by accident :roll:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for the new version (3.30)...

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Puffolino,

Thank you for the report, I am unsure if this was intended or not, but will ask the Dev team to take a look when they have a moment. They will take a look and let you know here when we have any more information for you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello Puffolino,
What UPX options do you use to pack?
What kind of issue do you have with the packed DLL?
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hi Roman,

I am using UPX 3.95W on a 64 bit Windows PC.

When packing the dll with the default settings, the compressed file size changes from 36314880 to 13644544 bytes. After that, a start of a 32 bit version (PDFXChangeEditor or PDFXTools) leads to the error message: Unable to load "PDFXEditCore.x86.dll" module. Please re-install the application.

Everything works fine, when using the original dll, and there's no problem when packing the 64 bit version.

I tried to to less agressive packing by chosing some flags as well (--compress-exports=0, --compress-icons=0, --compress-resources=0, --strip-relocs=0) but with no success.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Puffolino,
What is your Windows version?
Can you please send me your packed DLL? You can use Tracker Software File Service to upload the file. Just let me know the path you have uploaded it to.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Roman,

I've uploaded the dll into the UPXDLL directory.

Meantime I did some further tests and the packed dll seems to work on Windows 10.1 PC's but not on PC's using Windows 8.1
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

May I know why do you need to pack the Editor DLL?
Please notice that packing has some drawbacks - increased memory consumption as module memory pages cannot be shared with other processes running this module, increased memory consumption as the module pages are not backed by the module file, increased launch time (except maybe if you have a slow HDD and a fast CPU).
As of me, packing was reasonable in the past when HDDs were small and slow, but now when fast SSDs become ubiquituos, packing is a questionable idea.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Roman,

thanks for your comments - you're right that it is not necessary to pack the dll and exe files. I am doing this to be able to put as many cool tools and programs on a single USB memory stick which can be used like a swiss army knife at work and at home :)

I was just curious why the behaviour has changed - because I didn't observe any impacts in all previous versions here. Seems that I am very inquisitive, so I also found (newly introduced?) directories 'LeadTools' and 'Tesseract' within the MSI files - but no hint what these are doing...
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks, now I understand.
As of the new directories - they are for our new enhanced OCR (optical character recognition) engine. Thanks for your interest. :)