Switch tabs by CTRL+PgUp / CTRL+PgDown

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

megacable
User

Switch tabs by CTRL+PgUp / CTRL+PgDown

Post by megacable »

Hi!
I got the same problem as this guy. I wanted to be able to switch tabs by CTRL+PgUp / CTRL+PgDown as it is a shortcut I am used to (e.g. from Firefox or Notepad++).

I couldn't find the "Next/Previous Document" commands at first because they don't show up in the search for "Tab". So I googled and found this thread. Also I couldn't find the shortcut edit window again... it's nowhere in the preferences / menus and you irritatingly have to go there via "Customize Toolbars".

I added the shortcuts for "Next/Previous Document", but they don't work. Deleted the other ones (CTRL+SHIFT+F6, CTRL+SHIFT+TAB, ...) and restarted PDF x-change editor 7.0.328.2 but no reaction.

The screenshot shows that it seems to be correctly applied.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Megacable
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Switch tabs by CTRL+PgUp / CTRL+PgDown

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Megacable,

Page Up/Page Down keys are hardcoded to move the document one screen up/down, and Ctrl + Page Up/Down, are moving the document one page Up/Down at a time. So while most shortcuts are customizable - there are a few exceptions that can not be overridden, and this is one of them. If you assign any other key combination - it should work correctly for you.

Please consider e.g. the default Ctrl+Tab (next) and Ctrl + Shift + Tab (prev) keyboard shortcuts - those can be used with one hand - and the same are also used in browsers.

Regards,
Stefan
megacable
User

Post by megacable »

Hey Stefan,

thank you for your fast, competent answer.
Hm, that's unfortunate. I've never been a fan of those TAB+modifier shortcuts as they are hard to grip. Since I broke my left hand four years ago it's almost impossible by now (stiff pinkie). Best I can do is CTRL+SHIFT+A :-)

So I switched to CTRL+"/ on numblock" and CTRL+"* on numblock" (just below PgUp and PgDn) and it works!

Just gotta figure out now how to tell the same shortcut to my mouse macro depending on what program is open...

Thank you for the help!
Megacable
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Megacable,

Thanks for the follow up, and sorry to hear that pressing Ctrl+Tab is physically hard/impossible for you!
Glad to hear that you figured out an alternative combination as well :)
(Another one that I sometimes use for Prev/Next shortcuts would be e.g. Ctrl + [ and Ctrl + ] )

Cheers,
Stefan
megacable
User

Post by megacable »

Hey,

thanks for the suggestion. Now as you tell it, I can remember the CTRL+[ shortcuts.
I'm not used to them anymore for a long time now as I'm living in Germany now which has a different keyboard layout...

However, CTRL + Numblock is a good solution for me!

Megacable
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:D