Dashed lines don't scale proportianal

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

siroj
User

Dashed lines don't scale proportianal

Post by siroj »

Is there a way to scale dashed lines proportionally, both in width and in length? The only option I can find is to increase the linewidth, but this does not affect the length of the dashes and white-spaces. The result is quite ugly...

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Dashed lines don't scale proportianal

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Siroj,

Thanks for the post - Currently, the only way to do this would be to right click and flatten the comment, then you can use the Edit tool on the Home tab to resize the line (holding down the Ctrl key while resizing is likely what you need).

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
siroj
User

Post by siroj »

Will,

Thank you for the reply and workaround. This works, but it's obviously not ideal.

Could you forward this question as a feature request to the developers?

Thanks,
Joris.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In Aug. 2017 there was a related question about the possible customization of dashed lines:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=29497

Following Adobe's PDF Reference Guide, the chapter about "Line Dash Pattern", it seems to me that it should be possible to use other values than the predefined ones ... I wonder if I am right in this, or not ...

See print screen below.
Attachments
PDF - Line Dash Pattern.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy,

Yes - technically it's possible to have 'arbitrary' dash patterns, however there are no tools in our software for this, and it is probably quite complicated to allow it so that custom dash patterns can be created and specified through the front end. So I will ask our devs for their opinion on such a feature, but please note that this is in no way a promise that it will be approved or implemented.

Regards,
Stefan
SentryOnDuty
User

Post by SentryOnDuty »

I have dash lines in different lengths that I keep in pdf for this purpose but even then there are some drawings where going back into Auto Cad is necessary because there is no other option to edit the line.

Scaling would not be required if a marque was created to block off and delete the unwanted area. Then you could do as I do start with a longer line and trim away with a tool option.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for sharing your solution SentryOnDuty!

And I've had this checked by our devs, but for the moment they are still considering this feature request. For the moment - the patterns available will stay as what they are. Sorry that I could not bring any better news!

Regards,
Stefan