Renaming a PDF file while viewing it

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Impress
User

Post by Impress »

I would like to be able to rename a PDF file while it is open and being viewed in PDF-XChange Editor (free).

My image viewer can do this, so I know it's technically possible! :D

I just scanned over a hundred pages into PDF files. The scanner software names them SCAN1.pdf, SCAN2.pdf, etc. Now I have to open every one and give them useful file names, which often includes details such as dates and times in the PDF. So I open the file in PDF-XChange Editor, look at the document, close it, then try to remember the dates and times while renaming the file back in my file manager. Often times, I have to open the file in PDF-XChange Editor more than once for the same file as I can't accurately remember the details.

Can you please, please, please add this functionality!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Renaming a PDF file while viewing it

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Impress,

We are actually looking at bringing a feature like this in the future, I do not have any information about how far along it is, but we are considering it. For the time being, the best suggestion I can offer is to use the "Save as" function to quickly save the file with a desired name, then you only need to worry about remembering to delete the old file afterwards.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Impress
User

Post by Impress »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:11 pm Hello Impress,

We are actually looking at bringing a feature like this in the future, I do not have any information about how far along it is, but we are considering it. For the time being, the best suggestion I can offer is to use the "Save as" function to quickly save the file with a desired name, then you only need to worry about remembering to delete the old file afterwards.

Kind regards,
Thanks for the blazingly fast response Daniel!

If they can tie the functionality to the F2 key, that will allow it to use the standard key for renaming a file.

I look forward to the feature, and I hope they put it in the free version. I'm disabled, and not working, so the free version is what I can afford! If I can be of any help testing (or even designing) the feature, just let me know, as I am happy to lend a hand.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Worry not Impress,
Saving is most definitely a free feature, and all this function would be is a modification of how that works, so it would not require a license to use. It would of course follow the same rules as any other save operation though, in that if any other premium feature is used, it would certainly apply our publicity watermarks then and there.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Dear All,

just for completeness, a summary of the previous threads on the same feature request, and on the current status of it:

2014: Feature Request: rename "open" files
2016: Renaming a pdf when it is open
2017: Renaming a pdf file while it is opened
2017: Deleting files inside Editor
2019: Renaming a PDF file while viewing it (this thread)
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 pm Well we have agreement to do this.
Examples for this feature:

Notepad++:

Google Docs:
click to try

PDF-XChange Editor:

--
PS: Just one more small addition: it would be great if this feature would be implemented in a way such that the file date remains the same when the file name is changed.
Last edited by David.P on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

Thanks for that - I checked on the FR ticket and notice that it was stalled. I've re-opened the ticket and upped the priority as you're right, we do see a lot of requests for this.

I obviously still cannot offer any comment on when this would be done, at this time, but am confident that it will be done.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Will,

thank you for checking and looking after the status of this ticket!

Looking forward to any news about this feature request, hopefully in the near future!

Cheers
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

No worries :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

To link 2 topics: I often want to rename PDFs to something meaningful. Closing the file to rename it means trying to remember both what the hell the gobbledegook was and give it a name from something in the PDF.
To help with this I enlarged the Preview size in XYplorer - but too much work with that causes XYplorer to crash! Often I can see enough of the PDF in Preview to be of help, but it's a lot more convenient to do it 'on the fly'.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for your input Giraffe!

As a note - you can right click the tab and select "Open Containing Folder" and the PDF should be pre-selected.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
kss
User

Post by kss »

I also love the idea that was mention about right clicking on a tab and doing rename.

Nice work DavidP on your thorough documenting and explanation of this issue. :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello KSS,

Thanks for adding yout voice to this topic.
As Paul mentioned earlier - we've agreed on this feature request - and it should be implemented in a future version.

Regards,
Stefan
chrkuhlmann
User

Post by chrkuhlmann »

+1 here, either as a standalone feature or in combination with this idea
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Psst, great news for you guys, this feature is already implemented and right now is being tested and almost certainly will be included in the next release ;)

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Image Image
I love this news!
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Subscribe at:
Impress
User

Post by Impress »

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am Psst, great news for you guys, this feature is already implemented and right now is being tested and almost certainly will be included in the next release ;)

Cheers,
Alex
That's great news! Thank you!

Will we be able to press F2 in order to quickly perform a rename operation?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

We'll have to wait for Sasha to confirm that.

I did notice that F2 already shows "Shortcut currently used by: Rename (F2)" when I try an set F2 for any other command, so hopefully this will be a yes!

;-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello guys,

There is indeed a rename command that is being used in the different panels and cases. For example the Bookmarks Pane - if you select the bookmark and press F2 - the rename procedure will take place.
I think we will add the F2 as also a Rename Active Document command shortcut - if the active focus is on the Bookmarks Pane for example where there is already a Rename command available - it will be executed if possible. If the focus is on the Pages View for example - the Rename Active Document procedure will take place instead.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello guys,

Just had a talk with our lead devs and they said that we should not use the F2 as the default shortcut for the Rename Document feature. But, you would always have a possibility to customize this command with this shortcut.

The cause for such a logic, is that the F2 is a specific shortcut that historically should rename a selected element in some abstract list control. If we define this shortcut like I suggested above, the major percentage of users will experience an unwanted rename dialog popup that, by the way, is not a simple operation - it modifies the file on disk, not just some inner data. Thus we'll probably leave this one without the Shortcut, and if needed you will have a possibility to assign a needed shortcut by using Customize Command feature.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Alex, Tracker Support Team & Forum,

I think it would make some sense if F2 for renaming the currently viewed PDF file were active when you just had clicked on a file's tab, i.e. when the file tab has focus.

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello David,

I wanted to make a video, though I did not have enough time for that - so here are the screenshot spoilers :)
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Alex, that looks very promising!

Keep up the great work
Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Subscribe at:
cornelia thurn
User

Post by cornelia thurn »

Hi Alex!

I've just updated my license - especially because of this feature. The command is displayed to me, but is grayed out. Is the function not yet active (in the German version)?

My product infos: PDF-XChange Editor, Version 8.0, build 333.0 (Sep 10 2019; 15:42:41)

Greetings from (German) Switzerland
Cornelia
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Sorry for silly question - did you open any file in editor?
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Cornelia,

The rename function only works in certain context, if the file is locked, or located on a remote resource it will sometimes not be possible to rename, and that would be why it Is greyed out. If you remove any security on the document, and ensure it is located on your local machine (such as right on your desktop) you should be able to use the rename function.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
cornelia thurn
User

Post by cornelia thurn »

Hi Daniel

Well, I tried it out and this is raelly the problem: if the document is on my desktop it works, if it's on my NAS it doesn't work. So it means, I can't use this feature, because my documents are on a NAS ?! :shock:
Hope you have a better answer .. :)

Cornelia
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Cornelia,

If you have full rights over the network file you should be able do the rename. You cannot rename the file if there are any special permissions like read only or something like that. For example, if you open the file from the file server and all of the above criteria do match for the opened file, but the GENERIC_WRITE access to the folder itself is disabled, thus the original file could not be removed after the Save As operation (that is how the rename is functioning), thus the command itself will be disabled.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Impress
User

Post by Impress »

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:04 am Hello David,

I wanted to make a video, though I did not have enough time for that - so here are the screenshot spoilers :)

Cheers,
Alex
Thank you so much for implementing this. I had no idea until just now because I hadn't kept up with this thread, and every time I've updated PDF-XChange Editor I've tried pressing F2 and it did nothing. LOL! :roll:

I'll take a look at figuring out how to add a keybinding for it to F2.

I gave the rename function a try, and was unfortunately a bit disappointed. It looks like it may write a completely new file and delete the old one. This has a few issues:

1. It changes the file's date and time. This is a big problem for me, as I need the date and time to not be changed.
2. For large PDF files on slow computers/drives, this process is noticeably slower than simply renaming a file.
3. If it really is writing and just deleting the old file, this creates a privacy/security issue, because the original data is still present on the drive in unallocated sectors.

What can be done to address these issues?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Impress,

The Rename document function (called "Rename...") can be bound to a desired function key, such as F2 by customizing the UI and Searching for it in the "Commands" window, as detailed in this article: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... the-Editor

As for the issues you mentioned, I am unsure on the specifics of this handling and why these decisions were made, So I will ask our Dev team to look into this and see what can be done. In the meantime, if you need to rename a file without changing any other information, you can simply use the Windows File explorer to accomplish this.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I just was going to add that, while a "rename open file" feature that doesn't change the file date surely would be a good addition -- the fact that renaming open PDF files is possible alone still is a world class unique feature that is available nowhere else than in PDF-XChange Editor.

Thanks to the Tracker team for making this amazing feature possible!

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thank you for the kind words David, we always try our best! :D

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello guys,

The thing is that the current behavior is the only one that was possible to implement fast and for sure. We create new file with new name and remove the old one - I'm afraid that's the only way to keep the current logic without the file reopen. If we would just rename the file, then we would have to close it, rename and reopen it - this would cause the full load of the file again that potentially can take a great amount of time. The reason for that is that we cannot just rename the opened file itself due to Windows' permission flags that don't allow doing that from the state that we have on that opened file. We also cannot change those permission flags as that causes a potential problems with file maintenance. So I'm afraid that this logic will remain as it is.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
disillusioned
User

Post by disillusioned »

Hi from a new user. I was delighted to discover that I can open a PDF, review the content, and then rename the file based on its content. However, that delight has turned into disappointment on discovering that renaming a file updates its timestamp.

In my workflow, the file timestamp is a critically important piece of metadata. I totally understand why a new copy of the file has to be made, but I don't understand why the original file's timestamp can't be applied to the copy. My image viewer has an option to maintain the original timestamp when saving edits to an image.

I'd be grateful if Tracker would consider making this an option. Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello disillusioned,

Because the original file is already opened in the Editor - it can not be 'renamed' in the conventional way in which this is done through the file system. We need to create a new copy of the file with the new name, and this will update it's timestamp. If you need to rename a file and preserve it's timestamp - then you might need to e.g. locate it in the file system (you have an "Open file location" option in the Editor), close the file in the Editor, and then update the name in Windows directly.

Kind regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi all,

maybe there is a way for PDF-XChange Editor to re-set the timestamp after renaming (re-saving) a file?

I know that there are many tools, even portable ones, that don't need special permissions and that easily can change any file's timestamp:

Maybe a function like this can be included into PDF-XChange Editor as well, for cases when a file is renamed from within PDF-XChange Editor.

Thank you
Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello David.P,

Thanks for your input.
I am aware that it is possible to manipulate this information. So I will pass this to our devs for consideration but I am not sure if they will approve such a change in this feature.

Kind regards,
Stefan
disillusioned
User

Post by disillusioned »

Thanks, Stefan. I now realize that there are actually two use cases in renaming a file, one where the file has been modified by the user during the editor session and one where it hasn't. (The editor certainly knows which case is which).

If the file has been modified, it makes perfect sense to me that the timestamp would be updated on the rename.

In the second use case, which is by far the more frequent one I encounter, I'm viewing PDFs, not editing them. When viewing a file that I haven't modified, renaming it doesn't require making a new copy--it can simply be closed, renamed, and reopened. In this case, a simple rename, even the file system wouldn't update the timestamp, so why should the editor?

Thanks for continuing to consider this issue.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Dis, the Editor updates the timestamp on renaming because it actually does a "save as new, then delete original" operation, which is the only way when you want to keep the respective file open in the Editor.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
disillusioned
User

Post by disillusioned »

But if you're only viewing the file and you've made no edits to it prior to the rename, there's no need to save as new and delete. All that's needed is to close, rename, and reopen.

(BTW, that's what SumatraPDF does. It's not an editor, only a viewer, and it simply closes the file, renames it, and reloads it, with no effect on the timestamp).
disillusioned
User

Post by disillusioned »

Also BTW, I'd like to make clear that I've used the screen name "disillusioned" for years in various forums, and in no way do I mean to imply that I'm disillusioned with PDF-XChange Editor--other than this issue, it's a joy to use!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello disillusioned,

Just an update that I've created a FR ticket in our internal system for this:
RT#5191: FR: Keep file's time stamp when renaming it through the Editor.
So it will be assigned to a developer and worked on as soon as possible!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Excellent! That is a feature I use a lot.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

disillusioned
User

Post by disillusioned »

Wonderful! Thanks so much!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Did the retention of the original timestamp get into 339? I couldn't see it in the Changelog.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Giraffe

It is not marked as something that has yet been resolved, so no, while there may have been some other changes that affected it, it was not something targeted for build 339.
Currently, this is a very new ticket, and as with most new tickets, we will not be able to provide an estimated timeline for its implementation. Hopefully we can offer it in the near future, but your best bet to find out when it is available is to download the latest updates and give it a quick try.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Impress
User

Post by Impress »

Thank you for your continued work on this Team Tracker! :D

Personally, I'm fine if the file is simply closed, renamed, and then re-opened.

Actually, I usually don't even need the file re-opened, as I've already looked at it enough to decide on its new name. But, of course, I understand that it would likely look odd not to re-open the file after renaming it.

I think it's clear that some (many?) people value having the timestamp retained during a rename. Count me as one of those people.

In addition to maintaining the timestamp, I want to take a quick moment to mention that I expect rename operations (in any application, not just here) to not modify a single byte of the file.