Save As (various formats) for secured PDF — cryptic error messages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DIV
User

Save As (various formats) for secured PDF — cryptic error messages

Post by DIV »

Hello.

I have PDF-XChange Editor 7.0 (build 328.1).

The issue I am reporting is uninformative error messages.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Lock a PDF (using password security) to prevent users making any changes. Save that file with the new security settings.
  2. Close the file, and close PDF-XChange Editor, to ensure ability to make changes is not 'remembered' from when the unsecured document was initially opened.
  3. Open the secured PDF.
  4. Try to save in a new format, from File > Save As.

When trying to save as a Plain Text file, the error gives a fairly good indication of what the underlying problem is (could be improved slightly).
~~~~~
Cannot save myFilename.
An error occurred while saving the document to the file:
c:\myPath\newFilename.txt

Error [PXVLib]: No permissions for this operation.

Retry | Save As... | Close
~~~~~

However, for other file types — MS PowerPoint Presentation, MS Word Document and MS Excel Workbook — the errors are too cryptic, and follow the pattern:
~~~~~
Cannot save myFilename.
c:\myPath\newFilename.formatExtension

Error [System]: Unknown error: 0x82231001.

~~~~~

(Note: colour is purely for emphasis; it is not part of the original message box, which only uses black text.)
(In case it makes a difference, I have Windows 8.1 x64, and Office 2013.)

For PDF/A Document and PDF/X Document, if the Show Report option is specified, then the error is clearly indicated in the Conversion Report as:
"Modification of the document is prohibited" ... "Document is secured"
Moreover, this is confirmed in any case with another message box:
~~~~~
Cannot save myFilename.
c:\myPath\newFilename.pdf

Modification of the document is prohibited
Document is secured

Close
~~~~~

When "Save as type" is set to Optimized PDF, the error message is not really as clear as it could be:
~~~~~
Cannot save myFilename.
c:\myPath\newFilename.pdf

Error [PXCLib]: Operation is not permitted.

~~~~~

However, when going directly to File > Save as Optimized, the error is plainly explained.
~~~~~
The document is protected, and you have no sufficient permissions to perform the optimization.
OK
~~~~~

Given that I secured the PDF files myself, it wasn't difficult for me to deduce the problem.
Other users opening PDF files they didn't generate themselves may be baffled by error messages that don't provide sufficient clues as to what went wrong.

Yours sincerely,
DIV

P.S. There's also no keyboard keystroke/shortcut to activate the Save As button on the message boxes above.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Save As (various formats) for secured PDF — cryptic error messages

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi DIV,

Thanks for the post and your suggestions. I'll forward them to our development team so we can discuss how to make the error messages a bit more clear for the end user.

Regards,
Radi