Install / upgrade over existing install

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

RHA
User

Install / upgrade over existing install

Post by RHA »

Hi,

I have PDF-XChange PRO license. I ran PDF-XChange Editor. Then downloaded the latest via Check for Updates. When I run the exe, I pick Pro Version. But I have to enter the user name and key. Doesn't it know to install over the existing install and use that key?

Thanks,
Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Install / upgrade over existing install

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Chris,

The prompt for a key will present itself if the answer to this question is no:
1. Are the currently installed license keys valid for all products currently being installed.

A PRO license covers the Editor, PDF-Tools, and the Standard printer during installation, however the Editor and Editor plus installers include the Lite printer. Because the lite will not be covered by that license this prompt will appear while installing that.

Another possibility is that the maintenance on your license has expired, this would mean that none of the products are covered by the current license, because your key is not eligible for the update.

I am curious about why you are running the Editor installer on a PC that is licensed by PRO however? As the PRO installer includes the Editor there is no need to have both installed in any situation, and having both installed can cause issues if you choose to update only one of them, as the other products in PRO share some files with the Editor.

My recommendation would be to uninstall both versions, and then run only the PRO installer. If you need the Lite driver in addition, it has its own installer which you can use to avoid any conflicts that having the Editor installed twice may bring.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com