UI - Title bar - close window  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fk-fk
User

UI - Title bar - close window

Post by fk-fk »

Hi support & forum users

Wouldn't it be nice if I could close a PDF window by dbl-clicking on the top-left icon? Instead, a menu opens. Roughly all classic apps in Win-10 support this dbl-click-action, even if it originates from a former incarnation of Windows :-)
I'm using Editor plus 7 build 328.1

Greetings Freddy
Attachments
PDFxchange-UI.gif
Ovg
User

Re: UI - Title bar - close window

Post by Ovg »

Hm ... It is working for me in W7
Double Click.gif
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
fk-fk
User

Post by fk-fk »

@Ovg thank you. Are you using a trackpad? I installed it now on my portable (W7-64bit). Same problem when using mouse, also when using a different brand. With trackpad, it works fine. Funny that it only occurs with PDFXchange.
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

I'm using Logitech trackball :D
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Double clicking over here with a mouse does not appear to work with Windows 7 or XP.
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Update: I use two LMB clicks and it is working with ordinary mouse and trackball. Natural Double click it seems doesn't work at all ( only here).
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Maybe you should first verify if clicking the PDF-XChange Editor icon at the left side in the Title bar and the clicking Close, really closes the application. In case it does, then verify the "Double Click Speed" via Settings / Control Panel > Mouse > Mouse Properties > Buttons.
Attachments
Mouse Properties - Double Click Speed.png
fk-fk
User

Post by fk-fk »

@Ovg, @ Willy - thank you for your assistance,
Me too I used two LMB clicks, whose interpretation is controlled by mouse system settings as shown by Willy.

To me it sounds like a UI-programming issue:
Using Xchange v6, i was able to close a PDF window by dbl-clicking the top-left icon. Using Xchange v7, the same action opens a standard windows menu instead, which makes me crazy, as i open/close many PDFs per day. Strange that it works for OVG.

Suggestions welcome !
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

2fk-fk
posting.php?mode=reply&f=62&t=32061&sid ... c#pr130819
But natural double click working for me in other parts of UI, eg I can close File Tabs with natural double click
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello fk-fk,

I can verify that this works correctly in the latest version on my end as well. The only time that I was able to make the windows dropdown menu appear was when forcibly clicking slowly enough to not trigger a "double click" event, as per my mouse settings. In this case, the dropdown started opening before I clicked the second time, as should be expected from the single click action.

Can you verify, perhaps you have a third party program that handles some mouse interaction, some mice include software to manage their use, and it may have a setting that is overriding the windows default double click speed. Alternatively, Many OS's these days include their own suite of branded software that often does not work well. It is possible that it has been running in the background since day one. Acer and Toshiba are notorious for including such software as a factory default, but the others do it on occasion as well.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
fk-fk
User

Post by fk-fk »

Thank you all for your help

@Ovg
What do you mean with "natural double click"? A hardware button, controlled by Logitech's Setpoint software? I also use Logitech mice (G3, M305) but reverted to original MS drivers, to reduce dependencies, and because i'm not a gamer.

@Daniel
It looks like I have to find the needle in the haystack. But why do all my ~40 classic applications behave as expected, including XChange v6 ? I think that you changed in v7 the mouse event handling !

Regarding your suggestion: I'm aware of OEM customizations. My systems are built from scratch using MS resources. But possible that any program intercepts mouse events. Maybe I find the needle using SysInternal's process monitor.
Ovg
User

Re: UI - Title bar - close window  SOLVED

Post by Ovg »

@fk-fk

I have installed the latest SetPoint SW just now, assigned "Double Click" to the middle button and now "Natural Double Click" working fine here :shock: :shock: :shock:
fk-fk
User

Post by fk-fk »

@Ovg

Great you solved it 😁👍 - I installed Setpoint too, and configured the "go back" button to send a "double click". Now the editor window closes nicely by clicking over the top left title icon on "go back" 🤣

Why I trust Setpoint not too much: in the past, it was quite buggy, and some Windows updates (for W10) broke it completely. - And it's a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, because all my other classic apps behave fine with generic driver.

P.S. If I click 2x extremly fast with LMB, the editor window closes, too, without Setpoint. Obviously, XChange ignores the dbl click speed setting, as shown by Willy (above). On the other hand, it respects this setting for e.g. dbl click on title (maximize). Secrets ...
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello all,

I am glad to hear youve found a solution to this! I do believe the Editor should be respecting the double click speed setting, and in my tests it did indeed change depending on the speed setting. But we will look into it just to be sure.

I hope you all have a great day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com