Document "open action" not available for editing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

yossizahn
User

Document "open action" not available for editing

Post by yossizahn »

Why is there no way to edit the "Document Open" action?

I received a PDF that automatically opens the print dialog when opened. I cannot find any way to edit or remove the action.

In Acrobat - for some reason - it is also not available under "Document Actions" - which only the includes the same list as PDF XChange, however there is a button called "Document Javascripts" which allows editing the "Document Open" action also.

Some time ago I was told by one of the support staff that there is an open ticket about this:
4393 - PDF document with impossible see or edit OpenAction script in the Editor UI

Any updates?

Thanks
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Document "open action" not available for editing

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) Maybe it is via a "Page Open" action that the Print dialog box is showing up.
To verify this:
- Activate the Thumbnails pane and also activate the Properties pane.
- Then click on the first page and look in its properties for the Page Open action.

2) Via File > Save as Optimized ..., turn OFF all the check-boxes and then only check Discard Objects > "Discard all JavaScript actions".
Click OK and save the resulting PDF. This should remove all the included actions.

3) Can you post an example file ?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Yossizahn,

Willy's suggestions above are spot on so please look into those beforehand. If the answer does not lie there, we will need to take a look at the file. If it contains any sensitive information you can email it to us directly via support@pdf-xchange.com.com

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
yossizahn
User

Post by yossizahn »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:30 pm 1) Maybe it is via a "Page Open" action that the Print dialog box is showing up.
To verify this:
- Activate the Thumbnails pane and also activate the Properties pane.
- Then click on the first page and look in its properties for the Page Open action.

2) Via File > Save as Optimized ..., turn OFF all the check-boxes and then only check Discard Objects > "Discard all JavaScript actions".
Click OK and save the resulting PDF. This should remove all the included actions.

3) Can you post an example file ?
Thanks Willy.

1) I have verified that it is a Document OpenAction and not a page openaction. See attached sample.
2) This indeed works, but shouldn't there be a way of editing the action directly?
3) See attached.
Attachments
sample open action.pdf
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

It seems indeed to be an OpenAction incorporated in the internal structure of the PDF-file.

Maybe Tracker Software Development can make the consideration of offering us an additional feature in PDF-XChange Editor to make it possible to edit these kind of actions (like opening a PDF on a particular page, which is already possible).

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi all,
I've just created a ticket for this issue:
RT#4629

As usual, I cannot provide a timeline for when it will be handled, but know that we will get to it when we can.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
yossizahn
User

Post by yossizahn »

Thanks for that.
Just wondering, what happened to ticket "#4393 - PDF document with impossible see or edit OpenAction script in the Editor UI"?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello yossizhan,

My apologies, that ticket is still in progress, it has been assigned a developer, but has not had any very recent progress updates for me to share.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com