saving customised comment styles

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kuehneaufmasse
User

saving customised comment styles

Post by kuehneaufmasse »

Hello,
I'm afraid I need a helping hand. I'm using PDF Xchange Editor Plus (build 328.1; used under Windows 10) and am facing the following issue:

Since quite a while I'm using various (customised) comment options - typewriter, text box, drawing, measure ... I create the tools I need by cloning the default tools and then customising their properties. The tools (customised regarding scale, color etc.) then appear in the palette. So far, so good.

The problem is that I cannot rely on the system saving those customisations: sometimes it provides the cloned and customised tools in the palettes for the next session (or even the session after next), but then out of the blue I again only find the default tools in the palette and all the custom styles are gone. Is this a bug or is there something I can do to save the customizations reliably?
Please advise.
kuehneaufmasse
User

Re: saving customised comment styles

Post by kuehneaufmasse »

Just now again: I had several documents open (with the latest modifications saved) when the system crashed. And the recovery file now only contains the default comment styles, all custom styles are gone. That's REALLY annoying.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Don't remember having that problem with custom styles. One thing I would recommend to anyone who customizes PDFX is that they save their settings. Use File -> Manage Settings -> Export Settings, and keep the settings file where you can find it. This settings file should contain your custom styles, and is easily imported using the same Manage Settings feature.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi kuehneaufmasse,

Thanks for the posts - From the description, it sounds as though something may be deleting the registry entries for the settings. Alternately, if you're experiencing crashes, then this would be the cause as the settings are not saved until the application is closed; crashing stops the Editor from saving changes to the settings.

Please try temporarily disabling any registry cleaners and antivirus applications that you have running. If that solves the issue, then you'll need to add an exception to those applications for our own.

Regarding recovering settings - I'm not aware of any application that is able to recover changes to settings in the event of a crash. If something is deleting our registry entries & changes, then it's impossible for us to recover this data.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
jimclay75051@live.com
User

Post by jimclay75051@live.com »

I am having this same problem. In my case, I'm trying to change the Opacity and names of the highlighter. I would like for the Opacity to be set at 60% and the names to reflect the purpose of each color. To do this, I go to the Comment toolbar => Comment Styles => Text Markups => Highlighters. Then I change the property of each color. I exit this.

Then I go to File => Manage Settings => Export Settings => Check all the boxes => Okay => Save it to my drive.

Then I close out of PDF XChange. And as soon as it is closed, I reopen, taking at most a few seconds.

And when it is reopened all my changes to the highlighers are gone. I try to import the settings I just exported and that does not help either; apparently, the highlight settings are not saved in the settings export file.

One other thing that might be important. I've changed the icons arrangements of some of the toolbars and those do get saved.

Also, I tried turning off my virus program and that did not help. And sense I closed and reopened quickly I don't think the settings are being cleared from the registry. And I've not had any crashes.

Finally, I'm using the full Editor edition. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, jimclay75051@live.com

That is a different situation. Comment styles will revert to the original if you do not set your changes as the default, regardless of other settings options. This article details changing your "default styles": https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor

Also, if you have multiple styles that you would like to switch between for a single tool, this article will help you to create custom styles: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
jimclay75051@live.com
User

Post by jimclay75051@live.com »

Thank you, I have them working as I had hoped. :D
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com