2 questions about "table of contents" in documents

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Alf from Germany
User

2 questions about "table of contents" in documents

Post by Alf from Germany »

Hello experts,

two questions, here's the first:
When looking at the table of content (toc) in a document I almost always see wrong page numbers; I suppose that is because PDF-XCE includes the pages of the toc, whereas most (all?) documents start numbering with the first page of text. So if the toc has 22 pages, I have to add "22" to the page number I want to go to. How can I exclude the toc of the numbering?
And that brings up question number 2:
In the past, wasn't it possible to simply click on a page number in the toc and so jump right there? Alas, it's not possible any more ... :( Is this feature just a matter of how the document is "organised" or do I have wrong adjustments somewhere?
Thanks in advance for all attempts to help me

Alf
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: 2 questions about "table of contents" in documents

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Alf,

Depending on the document, the page numbers can be displayed in a number of ways. Many people simply add headers/footers to show the "desired page number" without changing the document itself, however if done correctly, you can have separate numbering schemes for different page ranges. see this article for details about that: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... Thumbnails

Regarding the ToC, Depending on the format of the document, the Editor is able to generate a table of contents from existing bookmarks, however if you have an existing ToC you would like to use, you will need to Use the "select text" tool and highlight the entire ToC. Then on the bookmarks tab, click "Create from Table of contents". This will generate bookmarks based on the pages specified in the ToC, and add links to them. This method only works for specific page numbers however, and will not just to a "cross section" of a page, like the other methods would.

As detailed in the following article, the Best method to generate a ToC is to create the bookmarks throughout the document first.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... the-Editor

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Alf from Germany
User

Hello, Daniel,

thanks for taking care of my problem.
But - as usual - I didn't ask my question properly, sorry for that. So I'll try again.
I use the PDF-XCE only for viewing pdf-files, not for creating them. My first sentence should therefore read like this:
"When looking at the table of content (toc) in a given pdf-file I almost always see wrong page numbers..." and so on.
And (2nd question):
"In the past, wasn't it possible to simply click on a page number in the toc of a given pdf-file and so jump right there?"
I hope that makes clearer what I meant?

Thanks again

Alf
--
When will Scientology finally be
prosecuted as a criminal organization?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Alf from Germany wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 am When looking at the table of content (toc) in a given pdf-file I almost always see wrong page numbers...
Yes, There is a setting that may help with that, again assuming that the creators of the document have setup page ranges correctly, To enable this open the Editor preferences and click on Page Display > Use Logical Page numbers:
DMKB19January1084.png
Alf from Germany wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 am In the past, wasn't it possible to simply click on a page number in the toc of a given pdf-file and so jump right there?
This would depend on the document itself, As before, If the creator specifically setup the Table of Contents to have hyperlinks to the bookmarks, then yes it would work like this. Otherwise, you will need to use the bookmarks pane (assuming that there are bookmarks in the document) which can be opened with Ctrl+B. If there are no bookmarks, and the Table of contents does not have links to pages directly, you will need to use the methods I mentioned before to edit the document before these functions will work.

I hope this helps to clarify!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Alf from Germany
User

Thanks, Daniel, but the setting you mentioned was already marked. So it's simply a mistake by the author(s) of this handbook, that they gave all pages numbers. I'll attach a screenshot to show what I mean: Even the title page has got a number ...
They are professionals, one should assume, so how can they fabricate muck like this?
Edius handbook toc.JPG
Page 4 is empty and on pages 5-22 follows the toc.
Had they at least inserted hyperlinks, but like this?
O.K., not your problem or one of PDF-XCE!

Wish you a good time in your wonderful country!

Alf

P.S.: The topic can be closed.
--
When will Scientology finally be
prosecuted as a criminal organization?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

I am glad that at the very least they have hyperlinks that are working for you!

Best regards, And you have a wonderful time as well, Alf!

Support@pdf-xchange.com