Basic integrity check

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

francois maurice
User

Basic integrity check

Post by francois maurice »

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a feature to perform a basic file integrity check ? Here's why:

I have a folder with 1 500 files. A few times, when I open a file, Editor displays an error message. Usually, it is one of the following error messages (taken from the Knowledgebase):

"Code: 0x82140002
Description: Error [PDF Structure 40]: Invalid file format"

"Code: 0x82142717
Description: Error [PDF Structure 40]: Invalid property type"

"Code: 0x821427B1
Description: Error [PDF Structure 40]: Invalid reference table (xref)"

But I'd like to be able to detect these problems on the set of files that are located in the folder without having to open them one by one.

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks,

François
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Basic integrity check

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi François,

PDF-Tools is designed to operate on large numbers of files like this. Typically one would open the file(s), perform some function on them, then save them to disk.

If I understand you properly you would like to be able to test that you can open all the files and somehow flag those that fail to open with their error message?

How would you envisage the results being presented?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
francois maurice
User

Hi Paul,
If I understand you properly you would like to be able to test that you can open all the files and somehow flag those that fail to open with their error message?
Yes. This is exactly this.

I'm working with 1,500 PDF files for now and it keeps getting bigger. These files are saved in PDF format 1.7 and are the subject of permanent synchronization between several devices. Sometimes some PDF files become corrupted, but I only know if I manually open a file, which can be long after the file has been corrupted. Then the corrupted file spreads on the backups.

I'd like to be able to do an automatic basic integrity test before backuping my PDF files.

How the results can be presented ?

The results can be presented in a pane, something like the Search Pane.
The presentation can be simple. The filename and the error message. And the possibility to go directly to the file with a right-click of the mouse.

Since we are talking about integrity, you could consider adding a Tab or a tool that would perform integrity and quality tests and could even propose some solutions.

For my part, I would like at least be able to do a basic integrity test on all of my PDF files.

Don't hesitate if I'm not clear enough.

François
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Francois,

I have created a formal feature request for this, while it is internal, you can ask any member of our support team here, or via email about the following ticket for an update.
RT#4606: FR: PDF-Tools Integrity check documents.

I cannot make any guarantees about implementation for this function, and it would certainly be a PDF-Tools function. I can however, promise that the Dev team will seriously consider this and when/if it is finally implemented, we will be certain to let you know here.

Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
francois maurice
User

Thanks Daniel,

If you need someone to test the feature, don't hesitate to contact me.

François
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Thank you for the kind offer Francois! :D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com