Why is there a resolution limitation for images?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

xchangeit
User

Why is there a resolution limitation for images?

Post by xchangeit »

I was always wondering about bad image resolution when printing via PDF XChange Editor, but then I found this:
File - Print - Advanced Print Options - More - Rendering Options - Maximum resolution for images

Why does this exist?

And why can't I switch it off?

My laser printer offers a 1200 dpi resolution, but the maximum setting in XChange Editor is 600 dpi??

Could you please change this?

Thank you!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Why is there a resolution limitation for images?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello cxhangeit,

This is a mechanism that helps to reduce the print job size to a manageable threshold when certain criteria are met. It cannot currently be switched off, but I will bring that up with the dev team for future consideration. The Editor will only modify the image if rasterization is required for the printer to be able to process the image. As an example, if an image contains transparency, a printer will not understand what to do with it thus the application sending the job needs to modify the image before it can be sent.

Likewise, even if the image does need to be modified, the resolution will not be reduced if it is already below this limit. Once again we will speak with the dev team about this, and as printers are more capable now, look at allowing an increased threshold or possibly the ability to disable the limit.

I can make no promises on this beyond that it will be discussed, So please bear that in mind.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com