Digital Signature Invalid  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

KentSteen
User

Digital Signature Invalid

Post by KentSteen »

I am having trouble with a Digital Signature. This was working fine a few months ago, but I tried to sign a document today and it keeps giving me an error that "At least one signature is invalid". If I go to the Signature Panel and check the certificate, it states "This Certificate is OK". If click on "Click to show..." the Properties, it gives me "Signature is INVALID" and a "The document has been altered, or corrupted, since the signature was applied." I have tried this on blank documents freshly started and it still comes up with the same error. I tried Time Stamping a blank document, and that works fine.

Windows 7 Pro x64
PDF-Xchange Editor 7.0 (build 328.1)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Digital Signature Invalid

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Kentsteen,

This is a very odd issue, Could I ask you to provide a detailed step by step, with images showing the errors, of how you go about creating a new document and signing it? What kind of signature are you using? and does the error appear immediately, or only after saving, closing and reopening the document?

If you could attach one of these documents here as well, that would be very helpful.

Kind Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
KentSteen
User

Post by KentSteen »

1. Open a previously saved document or combine a series of documents together into one saved or unsaved document. Tried it all three ways and all the results are the same.
2. Click on Sign Document from the Home Ribbon or the Protect Ribbon.
3. Dialog box opens up. Verify the settings and Click 'OK'.
DS-Dialog.jpg
A. The Permissions, Sign template and Use Timestamp Server do not matter. It fails regardless of the options I select there.
B. The .pfx file is saved on a mapped network drive.
4.The save file dialog box opens and I save the file to a project folder.
5. As soon as the file saves, the screen refreshes and there is a blue bar at top that says 'At least one signature is invalid.' Click on the Show Signature Panel:
DS-Invalid.jpg
6. Click Properties:
DS-Prop.jpg
7. Click on the 'View Certificate':
DS-Cert.jpg
8. Click on the 'Details' tab and the only warning is shown like this:
DS-CertDetails.jpg
The document looks fine other than the blue bar stating the one signature is invalid.

If do the same procedure with the Time Stamp, it works perfectly.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello KentSteen,

I have been trying to reproduce this and am still unable to, I am curious to know have you tried using any other certificate to sign the documents? I see the note that "This certificate has been revoked" which will of course always cause the signature to be invalid, but it should not cause the "altered or corrupted" error. After speaking with the development team a bit, we have come to the conclusion that we will need both a signed and unsigned copy of one of the documents you are trying to sign, for investigation.
As signatures are sensitive by nature, you can email this to us via support@pdf-xchange.com.com
Please include a link to this thread, and feel free to direct the email to myself so that I can address it directly.

Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
KentSteen
User

Post by KentSteen »

Message sent.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Digital Signature Invalid  SOLVED

Thank you for the email,
As we have resolved this case there, I will summarize here for any users with similar issues.

The cause of this error was the signatures certificat having been revoked. Should you ever find that newly placed signatures are immediately "invalid" please first ensure that your certificate itself is still valid (not revoked).

I hope this helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com