Dealing with Layers...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

Puffolino
User

Dealing with Layers...

Post by Puffolino » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 am

I made some scripts for students, but want to add some "hidden" information for instructors (me) containing solutions etc.
So I tried to manage layers, but failed.

When adding a layer, there's an option to "transfer" content and comments to this layer. I believe, only comments are brought to the new layer (but no other objects). Is this correct? Any chance to move standard objects to other layers or to see which objects are in certain layers?

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Dealing with Layers...

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Hello Puffolino,

That is correct, currently only comments, form fields, and some other non-base content can be brought to layers, other content, such as base text cannot. I am unsure of our future plans for these items, however I would not be surprised to hear if they are coming in the future.

For now, you can see what layer a comment is on in the properties pane, and also change its layer there, while the comment is selected of course.

I should note that while layers are a great feature, not all PDF handlers know how to use them (even we only just brought this feature into the fold). In this case it is likely that all content on all layers will be visible (Exposing your solutions and answer keys to the students!). For this kind of situation, where you need to share these notes with other teachers, I would suggest instead using the "import/export Comments" functions (from the comment tab). This will allow you to create a small file that you can share, and the others will only need to import it to view it. securing a good method to share the information, and ensuring the students don't "accidentally" cheat.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks for clarification, was hoping that standard content could be handled as well (when using the german language in the UI the dialog text contains also thw word for "content").

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Hello Puffolino,

Sorry for that, It is not technically wrong in context, as comments are defined as content, they are just not Base-content. As mentioned before, it may come in a future update, but I cannot make any guarantees at this time.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623