Sticky note tool: "cross point", aiming error?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

CharlesF
User

Sticky note tool: "cross point", aiming error?

Post by CharlesF »

Hellow,

PDFXChange Editor Plus v7.0 Build 327.1; O.S.: Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I would like you to try to reproduce, please, this problem, which I believe has emerged in this latest update (v7.0 Build 327.1). Is it a bug?

Let us make an annotation with the sticky note tool (for example, with its arrow form style)

In that annotation (sticky note) we want to write the meaning of the word "fervently". To do this, we move the mouse to place it just above that word.

And in that position we make left click with the mouse... and the sticky note (arrow style) appears

It has appeared ... but (look carefully, please) not in the position of the center of the cross, but below, and therefore, covering the word.

Look carefully, please: what has happened is this (in a scheme):

We aim at the center of the target, at the center of the cross...

and what we expect (after left click mouse) is that the beginning of sticky note (arrow style) is in that position (the center of the cross)

However, what happens is this: the beginning of the annotation is at the lower end of the cross, so the word ("fervently") is covered.

... so it (sticky note) covers the word ("fervently") on which we want to make the annotation. And this is annoying.

Of course it has an easy solution: just point a little higher, and then, the annotation will not cover the word. But I think it's a bug, since in the previous versions of PDFXChange Editor Plus it did not happen, and also, it does not happen in the other forms of annotation -rectangle tool, cloud tool, line tool, oval tool, polygon tool etc.- in which the beginning of the annotation coincides exactly with the exact center of the cross. This problem does not happen in PDFXChange Viewer Pro either.

Thank you in advance, and regards.

CharlesF
Last edited by CharlesF on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Sticky note tool: "cross point" problem?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Charles,

This is intended, and the same behaviour can be observed in our viewer as well, the chief difference being that in the viewer it was visually hinted that the icon would appear below the cross (only two lines at that point in time):
DMKB18December952.png
DMKB18December952.png (267 Bytes) Viewed 3942 times
The handling here is that the icon is perfectly placed so that the upper left corner of the icon is in the mouse position, regardless of the internal shape of what is displayed. This causes some items, like the arrow, to appear as if they are not centered on anything, if you click to place the annotation and do not move the mouse, you will see a blue bounding box around the sticky note, notice that the tip of the mouse is located right at the top left corner, for every annotation.
DMKB18December953.png
DMKB18December953.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
I hope this helps to clarify how these tools work.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: Sticky note tool: "cross point", aiming error?

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Will try to add in 329 (it is too late to add this into 328) an option to show an exact preview of sticky note being placed, as we have for Typewriter annotation.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
CharlesF
User

Re: Sticky note tool: "cross point" problem?

Post by CharlesF »

First and foremost, thank you very much Daniel and Ivan

I would like to develop this matter a bit.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote:I hope this helps to clarify how these tools work.
I don't think these tools work like that: I checked and just checked again (I work a lot with them)

These tools (rectangle tool, cloud tool, line tool, oval tool, polygon tool, arrow tool...

work ok (in all versions of PDFXChange Editor have worked Ok); in this version (327.1) work OK too: the exact cross point (the center point of the cross is... like the center of a bullseye) is the exact point where it begins to be drawn (rectangle line, cloud line, oval line, arrow line, etc. begin to be drawn in the exact point of the "cross point") This is how these tools work.

Sticky Note doesn't work like that only in this last update, 327.1, because in all early versions it has always worked fine: the exact point (the center point of the cross, the center of a bullseye) where you pointed, was the exact place where the sticky was located.

I think that the little icon in the right bottom corner that appears before you press left click mouse (to make the sticky annotation or to star the draw line), in all these tools, is merely informative: the decisive thing is the point of the center of the cross ("the center of a bullseye"). They (all those tools) have always worked OK in all versions; they are workinkg OK in this update 327.1... except Sticky Note tool. Why this exception in this update? I think it is a bug. And this is very annoying if you use it many times. Anyway, I'll have to get used to that "lack of aim".
Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:Will try to add in 329 (it is too late to add this into 328) an option to show an exact preview of sticky note being placed, as we have for Typewriter annotation.
But, is it necessary to add that option? Would not that slow down the process of making an entry of a simply sticky note?
Would not it be easier to fix that bug in order to leave things as they were before version 327.1? Only a single bug! in a single annotation tool (sticky note tool)!, and only in this version 327.1!; all other anotation tools work OK! in this version and have always worked correctly, including, of course, the sticky note annotation tool!.

Thank you for your attention and for your help.

Regards

CharlesF

By the way: Typewriter annotation tool works OK too:the exact cross point (the center point of the cross is... like the center of a bullseye) is the exact point where it begins to be written
Last edited by CharlesF on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Charles,

Please allow me to demonstrate what I mean here.

Even in the viewer, you will find the exact same behaviour with the sticky notes tool, the placement location is directly on the tip of the cursor:
Viewer placement.gif
Viewer placement.gif (21.85 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
In the Editor, build 326.1, not 327.1, you can see that the handling is still the same after all this time.
Editor 326.1 placement.gif
Editor 326.1 placement.gif (12.49 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
This leads to the current handling in 327.1, which you can see clearly, has not changed, the upper left corner of the annotation is the only anchor point for sticky notes.
CharlesF wrote:the exact point (the center point of the cross, the center of a bullseye) where you pointed, was the exact place where the sticky was located.
Sticky notes always have been placed exactly where you click, with the top left corner of the icon in the mouse position (center of crosshairs). This is because sticky notes resize based on the document zoom level, as you see in both the Viewer and Editor above. Ivan's suggestion is to display exactly what the sticky note will look like, at your current zoom level, so that you do not need to worry about considering movement after placing.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: In the Editor, build 326.1, not 327.1, you can see that the handling is still the same after all this time.

This leads to the current handling in 327.1, which you can see clearly, has not changed, the upper left corner of the annotation is the only anchor point for sticky notes.
I think you're right, Daniel.

Let's focus, exclusively, on the Editor Plus

In summary: when you click to add a sticky note...

1) what happens is this

2) Now, what I would like to happen would be… this

¿What is “this”? The beginning of sticky note is drawn (after left click mouse) in the exact center of the cross.
Is this very difficult to achieve?
I don't think so.
Why?
Because all the other annotation tools (all of them) work in that way, that is: rectangle line, cloud line, oval line, arrow line… (Typewritter tool as well!): the exact cross point (the center of a bullseye) is the exact point where it begins to be drawn: rectangle line, cloud line, oval line, arrow line, etc. begin to be drawn in the exact point of the "cross point"; typewritter begin to write in the exact cross point as well. Take the test, please, Daniel.
So, why is sticky note an exception of all those annotation tools?

Thank you, Daniel.

PD. When I say "all the other annotation tools" (rectangle line, cloud line, oval line, polygon line, arrow line…), I mean this tools

Last edited by CharlesF on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

I added preview cursor feature to the sticky note tool in 328 which should be released in a few days. Hope this feature will solve your issues.

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

What kind of screen do you use? and what is scaling factor in your Windows settings?

CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

Ivan - Tracker Software wrote:What kind of screen do you use? and what is scaling factor in your Windows settings?
Thanks a lot Ivan.

Kind of screen: HP Pavillion 24xw IPS Backlit Monitor
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Scaling factor of my Windows settings: 100%

Right now I'm going to try again with versions before 327.1. But I would bet that this is the first time that happens to me, and it is with this version. Keep in mind that it is a very annoying and very striking effect, because I make many notes and I would have realized much earlier.

Regards
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

Surprise! (to me)

v7.3xxx ---> same issue
v7.2.xxx ---> same issue
v6.3.xxx ----> same issue!

In conclusion: There is no issue in sticky notes! because ... or things have to be like sticky notes works, or it's a failure of my settings (of PDFXChange Editor Plus or Windows).

Since I have made hundreds of notes with sticky notes, have I never realized this little issue? It may or may not be. Right now I'm doubting it. Honestly, now I would not bet that once there was no such problem. I do not actually know anymore.

What I truly regret is having bothered you and wasting your time. I'm really sorry, and I apologize.

CharlesF
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello CharlesF,

We will be introducing an alternative way of placing the types of annotations like sticky notes in one of the nearest future releases (you will place the entire sticky note, not just a cursor) - maybe you would find that more suitable for you.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

Hello Alex,

Thank you very much for your answer.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote:… maybe you would find that more suitable for you.
No, no, Alex :) I think that the current way of placing the types of annotations (including sticky notes) is very good (even perfect).
The “issue” with sticky notes (which is a very-very-very small problem) has turned out to be probably a problem of my settings, and not of Editor Plus. Anyway, and as I said in my first post, it has a very-very-very simple solution: just “point the shot” a little higher (1 or 2 millimeters) at the position where you want the sticky note to appear. That’s all!!

And… all the other types of annotations “have perfect marksmanship” :) they work perfectly!!

Regards,

CharlesF
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello CharlesF,

The cursors positioning was also filxed (there was a slight shift by 1 point).

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

Great!

Thank you very much, Alex.

Cheers,

CharlesF
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: :D
Thank you very much, Daniel.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

No trouble at all Charles!
I wanted to show off how the stick notes too will work in build 328 and up:
DMKB18December971.gif
If you wish you can revert to the old crosshair system, from the properties pane:
DMKB18December972.png
DMKB18December972.png (9.54 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Enjoy!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

Thanks a lot, Daniel.

Yes. It seems a very good idea to introducing an alternative way of placing the types of annotations, like sticky notes. I will try it, without hesitation.

… although, as I said in post 12, the current (327.1) way of placing all types of annotations (including sticky notes) is very good (even perfect): “just point the shotgun at the center of the cross…, and shoot (=left click)!” :) … and, more so, if, as Alex said in the post 13, “the telescopic sight of the shotgun has been fixed” :) … and, of course, as long as I keep “the aim of the shot” :shock: .

And for all the above, I think it is also a good idea to give the option to revert to the old crosshair system for all of us who are too accustomed to it.

Thank you, Daniel.

Regards,

CharlesF
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Glad to hear you like it,

Have an excellent day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
CharlesF
User

Post by CharlesF »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: I wanted to show off how the stick notes too will work in build 328 and up:
DMKB18December971.gif
Yes! The new stick notes way of work in build 328 is very good. Perfect!

Confratulations :D

But the old crosshair system keeps... :? :arrow: :wink:
But I think that if the problem persists, it is because I have not been able to explain well what the problem consists of. It is clear that I have to improve, and much, much, my English language.Therefore, I apologize once again. Thank you very much and greetings.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com