Inserting a PDF into Office

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

steve@ctqld.com.au
User

Inserting a PDF into Office

Post by steve@ctqld.com.au »

Apologies if this is the wrong board for this question...

The organisation I am at has switched from Adobe to PDF XChange but now I cant embed a PDF in an Office document.

In Office Word/Powerpoint/Excel I use Insert Object / Create from file / select the PDF / do not tick link, do not tick display as icon. the result is that the image is still displayed as a icon which can be double clicked and will open the PDF. But I want the image displayed in the document not as an icon.

This use to work find when we had Adobe.

I assume it is a setting in XChange?

Using Microsoft Office 2013
PDF X-Change Editor Version 6 Build 322.7

Appreciate any help... thank you

Steve Bayliss
steve@ctqld.com.au
User

Re: Inserting a PDF into Office

Additional Info - Using Office 2013 32 Bit
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Steve,

I am afraid that at the moment the Editor does not support OLE Objects, and as such this is not something that we ca do yet. We do have plans to bring this kind of function in the future, but I cannot provide a timeline at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
steve@ctqld.com.au
User

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

The system still has Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed but even if I change the default association to that it still does not seem to work?

1. Should I expect that it should work after doing that?

I have a PowerPoint tool that auto creates a custom presentation from PDFs by splitting the PDFs into single page PDFs then looping through to add them via the command ...AddOLEObject(Filename:=... )

2. Can you advise any other workaround to bring the PDFs into a PP presentation using VBA.

Thanks Steve.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Steve,

If our application is not the default, it should not have any handle that would interfere here. So yes, I would expect that to work, possibly try reinstalling your Adobe suite to have it "steal" the permissions back in the case where windows did not properly disassociate us. Do also note you will likely need to restart the PC to see this change if you have not already.

I am afraid that as I do not have experience with OLE objects, or using PP with VBA, I cannot offer any tips there, I would suggest reaching out to Microsoft or Adobe support for assistance with their products in that kind of setup.

Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com