Set default printer to PDF XChange

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

L&L
User

Set default printer to PDF XChange

Post by L&L »

We would like to print most documents (not only pdf) using grey shades. That's why I added two printers (though it's the same physical machine) to Windows 10 Pro: One of them prints grey scales, the other one auto color. I think due to some changes in version 7 (because I don't remember that we faced this problem in version 6) of PDF XChange pdf documents printing using the "grey" printer takes about as two times as long as using the "color" printer. This issue occurs with version 7.0.327.1 as well as with version 7.0.325.1. Now I found out that printing using the "color" printer and setting the option "Color Override" to Grayscale is much faster than the above mentioned option. Unfortunately I didn't find a way to set a default printer to PDF XChange only (so without changing the system's default printer) or to make PDF XChange remember the last printer which was possible in earlier versions I think. Does anyone know a solution to set a default printer to PDF XChange only or to make it remember the last printer which was used?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Set default printer to PDF XChange

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello L&L,

The Editor should remember the last used printer by default. In some cases this will be forgotten after a system restart, but should retain the selection between sessions.
Other than that, we do not currently have a method to set a default printer independently from the system, but it is a function we are working on.

As for the color issue, this is due to one of the changes made in V7 which altered how we handle the print functions. Sadly it is not something that we are able to change at this time, and as such, manually selecting the appropriate color override is recommended. As soon as it is possible once again, rest assured that this functionality will return as desired.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
L&L
User

Post by L&L »

Dear Daniel,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the software does not remember the last used printer. Is there a button somewhere in the settings or an entry to add somewhere for example in an ini-file to activate this option again? I've tested this behavior on two different machines. In both cases the system's default printer was selected every time I restarted the software. In case you want to test it on your side: We use Windows 10 Pro (including all updates/patches) and the version(s) of PDF XChange Editor which I mentioned above. We manage our default printer on our own (so Windows does not, which is the default setting).

Best regards
Thilo
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Thilo,

My apologies, it seems I was mistaken about the handling between sessions! You are correct that it is not handled as I described before and the printer is only remembered in the current session. I am afraid that this is intended and the Dev team will not be changing that handling anytime soon. As I mentioned before, we are looking at an option to set the default printer for the Editor independently from all other applications. I cannot guarantee that this will be in the next release, but it is on its way.

Best Regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Thilo,

I have just received confirmation that this will be coming in the next build. At first the option will only be available via JavaScript, as such I have attached the command here for your use.

Note: This will not work in the current 327.1 or below, please wait until we have released build 328, and you have updated to follow these instructions.
To Use this file, Unzip the attached zip folder, and then open the .js file with any text editor.
setDefPrinter.zip
(236 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times
In this file there is a section that specifies "PDF-XChange Standard"
DMKB18December939.png
You will need to change this to your printer name, as windows displays it, for example, to use my Brother Printer as the default I would write it as such:

app.setOption("Operations.PrintPages.PrinterName", "Brother MFC-7820N")

After making that change, save the file, (ensure that .js is still the file extension) and place the setDefPrinter.js into the javascripts folder of our Appdata directory. You will likely need to create this directory, to do so, navigate to
%appdata%\tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0

and then create a new folder called JavaScripts (This is case sensitive)
Now place the file into this folder.
%appdata%\tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\JavaScripts

Note: This will not work in the current 327.1 or below, please wait until we have released build 328, and you have updated to follow these instructions.

Once this has been done, the file will be loaded automatically each and every time the Editor is launched, and will cause this to be the "Default printer" for only our PDF-XChange Editor.
I hope this helps!

Support@pdf-xchange.com