Pasted areas gone black.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Giraffe
User

Pasted areas gone black.

Post by Giraffe »

Every month I start with a blank PDF and paste 2 items from a web site on to it. For years this has been OK but last month's, although OK when done, now has only black rectangles for these areas. I can't get that information again as it changes daily.
I also copy and paste some small areas of text from the previous month's PDF and edit them - these are still OK. This is fortunate, as they're a summary of the main areas.
I can't post a copy here as it's financial information.

Any idea what might have caused this, please?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Pasted areas gone black.

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Giraffe,

Could you please tell us what version is your PDF Editor?

You can see that under the Main menu -> Help -> About.

Also, is it possible to tell us at least one website, from which you copy materials onto PDF file?

No, do not upload any documents containing confidential information in the forum!

If you want to send us an example file, please do so on our support email address: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks for replying, Dimitar. It's v7.0 build 327.
It's happened only the once, the site is secure log-on and the 'print-friendly' view is just text - nothing complex at all.

If I do send a copy, I would Save As and then delete the extra bits that aren't from the site, but that would still leave financial details if it can be read.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Giraffe,

From the description, it sounds to me like either the images, or the PDF itself have been corrupted. By any chance have you been manipulating these files with another application, or have you been printing the PDF to PDF to "resave" it? Both of these can sometimes corrupt files, and in certain cases it can not be recovered. We have made some slight tweaks to our document recovery mechanisms in the latest 327.1 update, could you try updating and see if the document becomes legible again?

Beyond that suspicion, Without looking at the file itself we cannot confirm anything. We can certainly give you our word that we will not use any of the information in that document for any purposes other than to assist you in handling this issue. And if you make a request of it in the email, we can guarantee that the document, and every version of it that has reached our servers will be destroyed once we have resolved the issue. Having the original untampered file is of course the best way to investigate, but it is entirely up to your discretion, and if you feel you need to remove some information we will still do our best.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

It hasn't been reprinted. The only other application used is XYplorer.
I'll look at it in 327.1 first - thanks for this - I hadn't realised that there was a new version.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the update Giraffe,

Do let us know how it goes with the latest build once you've had the chance to try it out!

Regards,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Still black in the latest version. Somehow I was expecting to find an option for 'Recovery' somewhere!
I've zipped a copy and I'll send it.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks Giraffe!

Looking forward to the sample!

Cheers,
Stefan
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Just updated to 328 and the black areas are now white!
BTW, I sent a 'normal' version from a previous month, by email, to Dimitar on the 11th. and have had no response. I'm wondering if it actually went or was delivered.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Giraffe,

I got the email.

I sent the file to our developers for further investigation and was waiting on a response from them.

BTW, thank you for the feedback about the result in version 328.

EDIT: Unfortunately, neither of us has managed to reproduce the problem.
No matter what we have pasted in your document, it always appeared normally.
I Think that maybe the problem is website related.
Maybe, along with the text is copied some other web component as well, that influence the text field!
Unfortunately, I can not be sure on 100%, because we do not have access to that website you referring to.

Regards.
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

The website has a "printer-friendly" version that is pure text (well, enough formatting to structure to the table). It's 3-factor log-in, so I can't give you access to it.
I don't know of a way of sending the 'raw' site - beyond my skill!
In future I'll try pasting the table in to IrfanView and generate a PDF from that - might be more stable.
As I say, it's been OK for years; the one month since the black one is OK also.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Giraffe,

Thank you for the further followup, Hopefully that was a "one off" issue then, likely some outside case caused only those images to be corrupted, and it can be avoided in the future. Should you find a way to reproduce this later, with a file that we can access, please by all means let us know here.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com