Editor closes/crashes when laptop goes to sleep

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lena
User

Editor closes/crashes when laptop goes to sleep

Post by lena »

Whenever my laptop puts itself in sleep or hibernate mode after a certain time, or when I close the lid, PDF-Xchange Editor usually crashes. All my other programs are still there when the computer wakes up, but PDF-Xchange is not. When I open PDF-Xchange editor, the files that were open before the sleep are not open anymore (I have enabled the setting that remembers open documents). They're also not in recent files. That's annoying, I often have several documents open if I'm working on a project. I have to reopen all those files and find my place in the document again. If I made changes to documents, they're gone. This means that I constantly have to remember to save documents because if I walk away from my computer for a bit, the changes might be gone.

I use Windows 10 on a relatively recent computer. I have the most recent version of PDF-Xchange Editor.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Editor closes/crashes when laptop goes to sleep

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Lena,
Does this happen with any files open, or only with networked files? If your laptop is connected via WiFi instead of a hardwire connection this issue can occur due to how network pathing is remembered. It is a bug that we are working on a solution for, but currently we cannot provide a timeline.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lena
User

Post by lena »

Thanks Daniel!
I don't have a wired network connection, so I'm always connected to wifi, but I don't have any files that are on a remote/network drive, or even on a usb drive. All my pdf-files are on my c-drive.
I forgot to mention: when I open Editor again, the documents from my previous session are not there, but other documents are open. It's as if a session from a while ago gets opened.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That Is certainly very odd.
Can you verify that you are running the current build (327) and if not try updating the software.
You can update by clicking Help > check for updates.

If the issue still occurs, please export and send us your settings.
to export, click file > manage settings > export settings. Then add those files to a zip folder and you can attach them to your post here.

Have a good day!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
lena
User

Post by lena »

Hi Daniel,

I was/am using the latest version. When learning that this is a known bug with networked files I did some sleuthing. I am not 100% sure that I found the culprit, but it seemed like it might be because of a conflict with Joplin, an open source Evernote-like app for note taking. (Joplin runs a web-clipping service on port 41184,in case that's relevant).
I saw that there was a new minor update this week and decided to install the portable version of Editor and so far so good.
I am a bit skeptical, it seems strange that an external app would cause this problem, and I don't know why the portable version of Editor would solve it (or maybe it's not that at all but the 327.1 update happened to fix it?).

I hope that this is solved now and will keep you posted.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Keep us posted, we would love to hear that everything is working as intended now that the update has come out!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Royal2000H
User

Post by Royal2000H »

Hello, I am also experiencing this issue. I was on build 325. I've now updated to 328.1 and can confirm the issue still exists.

Same, I am running local PDFs. If Editor is in the foreground and the computer locks (whether due to sleep or Win+L), when I log in, all my other programs are open except PDF XChange Editor. Oddly enough, if Editor is minimized or even maximized in the background but not active, it survives just fine.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Royal2000H,

Thank you for letting us know you are still seeing these issues. We are not able to reproduce this on our end and are looking for some more info, if you could provide it.

First, can you please setup crash logging in windows? This KB details the process. The file will usually be too large for our forums or email, so please upload it to our Useruploads server if one is generated. Please also send us an email directly to support@pdf-xchange.com.com with a link to this forum post once the upload is complete.

If no dump is created, then the application is likely not crashing, but instead windows is deciding to close it automatically for some reason.

In either case, please export your Editor Settings (File > Manage settings > Export settings) and send them to us. You can post them here or email them to us by zipping the generated settings file.

Looking forward to the results!

Support@pdf-xchange.com