Print preview bug

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ketter
User

Print preview bug

Post by ketter »

PDF to be printed is in color. Printer is color capable. Driver is set to default to black and white. In the past when I would print preview the image, it would show black and white since the driver was set to black and white. If I changed the driver to print to color, the print preview would display color. Not sure when this quit working, but now the print preview always shows color regardless of the print driver setting. This bug is still present in Version 7.0 Build 327.0. If I actually print the PDF, it will print b/w or color as desired based on the print driver setting. The only problem is that the print preview does not accurately reflect what will be printed. Any chance we can get this fixed? Thanks!
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Print preview bug

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello ketter,

Could you please give us a little more details about the printer.
We need make, model and a link to the drivers that you currently have installed on you computer?
Also, could you please show us how do you set up the black and white printing?

This is the result from my HP Laser Jet:
black.png

Regards.
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

I see this on our Lanier LD435c and our Lanier MPC 4503. The drivers we are using is no longer available on their download site. If you provide me with an email address, I can send a link so you could download them from our file transfer server. I've attached a screen shot of what I am seeing. The printer is set to black and white, but the preview shows color.
Attachments
preview.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ketter,

If there is a newer driver available on the manufacturer's website - can you please try to update at your end?
If that is not an option - please use support@pdf-xchange.com to send us the links to the current drivers you have!

Regards,
Stefan
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Some may have updated drivers, but some don't, so I am sending you a link to our file transfer server. It will reference this thread. This is a Windows 7 64 bit PCL6 driver. Thanks!
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Any progress on this? Thanks!
Ken
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Ketter,

It seems that Dimitar is speaking with the Devs on this topic, I will ask him to follow up once they have finished their discussions.
Regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Ken,

Yes, I have spoken with the developers, and they told me that our program is currently extracting information from the color profiles
rather than from the printer driver, so that's why in most cases the print preview is colored.
This behavior of the program will be corrected by the developers but unfortunately we can not give a precise date when this will be done because they are quite busy.

Regards.
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Dimitar,
Thanks! Good to know they will fix this. Hopefully they can get to it soon since this is very confusing.

Ken
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Ken,

We do our best to make this happen as soon as possible.

Regards.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I suspect this will be part of the whole necessary color management overhaul and may thus take long to be implemented?!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi timur,
I suspect you may be correct on that front, but without knowledge of the inner workings, I cant say with certainty.
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Since I did a lot of print testing I was sure that I saw grayscale print previews lately. And indeed there are two ways to get grayscale print previews.

- Use Editor's own "Advanced Print Options" (More button).
- Use a Postscript printer driver. While both the original PCL6 and the universal PCL6 drivers of my HP LJ Pro 500 Color keep showing colored previews the PS driver properly switches to grayscales. Non of these print drivers come with any color profiles, so they all use the default sRGB profile. Still the PS driver behaves differently.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That's a clever workaround Timur.
Thank you for sharing that, I am sure some other users could take advantage of that option.

Support@pdf-xchange.com