327.0 pasted image bug

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pid
User

327.0 pasted image bug

Post by pid »

I discovered a bug in build 327.0 involving pasted images. I have PDFs with many images that I pasted (control-V) to the document. The images aren't flattened so they're just stamps. After multiple saves (due to edits), some of the images are replaced by black boxes upon closing and reopening the PDF. I attached a sample PDF with a bunch of images for you to replicate and another PDF showing the bug (if you just want to see the result).

Here's a fool proof way to quickly replicate the bug: Move one of the images on the page slightly and then save it (don't close the document). Do this at least 20 times. Now close the document and reopen it to see some of the stamps replaced by black boxes.

Interestingly, if you close the document after a few saves, the 'bug counter' seems to reset -- you get another ~20 saves before random images go black upon closing and reopening the PDF. This bug has affected 2 of my PDFs so I've downgraded to 326.1 until it's fixed. Please fix this bug in 327.1. Thanks!
Attachments
tracker test bug.pdf
(44.17 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
tracker test.pdf
(44.14 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: 327.0 pasted image bug

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello pid,

Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the problem at my end.
Could you please give us more information about your computer environment?
We need information about your Windows, CPU, Video card, RAM, hard disk...
Also, did you upgrade your PDF Editor to the latest version or you made a clean install of version 7.0.327.0?

Regards.
Attachments
tracker test_after 20 saves.pdf
(44.35 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
pid
User

Post by pid »

Hi Dimitar,

I'm running Windows 10 1809 build 17763.1 on a Surface Pro 4 tablet i5-6300U, 8GB, 256GB SSD. I'm also running the portable version of 327.0, but also tried a clean install (EditorV7.x64.msi) and didn't import any of my previous settings. Same result. So I also tried installing EditorV7.x64.msi on my desktop and laptop (both 17763.1). Although I couldn't replicate bug with 20 saves on my desktop, 30 saves did the trick. The laptop bugged out at 20.

So I thought maybe I can trigger the bug quicker by increasing the number of images. After all, the 2 PDFs that I work on have 100's of stamped images. I attached another sample pdf with 256 pages of images. I was able to reproduce the bug consistently after 3 saves. Maybe it'll take you a few more.

Thanks!
pid
Attachments
tracker test 256.pdf
(206.54 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Last edited by pid on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I am able to reproduce this. Do you use "Microsoft ICM" for color management in Editor?

Side note: if you open the "bug" PDF file in Acrobat it says "Insufficient image data" and uses transparency instead of black. If you try to grab one of the transparent images an error pops up: "Insufficient data for an image".
pid
User

Post by pid »

Timur Born wrote:I am able to reproduce this. Do you use "Microsoft ICM" for color management in Editor?

Side note: if you open the "bug" PDF file in Acrobat it says "Insufficient image data" and uses transparency instead of black. If you try to grab one of the transparent images an error pops up: "Insufficient data for an image".
I use "Little CMS."
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

I have managed to reproduce this and will be presenting it to the dev team shortly.
Thank you for reporting this, I will follow up once I have word on our plans here.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com