Custom Cursors (typewriter)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MattyN
User

Custom Cursors (typewriter)

Post by MattyN »

Hey gang,

Thanks for a great product. Would be lost without it in my business.

Got a query for you, can't find any answer in the forum or online manual. Is there a way to turn off the custom cursors and just have plain cross-hair? Particularly for typewriter tool.

Reason I ask is because I smash the typewriter tool all day long alllll over the documents, and having 'Typewriter' floating across the screen - in the selected typewriter text format, which is sometimes hilariously huge - is obstructive and clunky. I understand that you've likely had users who can't get their head around a crosshair indicating the base of the text line, because that requires a minor adjustment over a few milliseconds and who has time for that, and the floating 'Typewriter' is all THIS IS WHERE THE TEXT WILL BE MATE IT IS OK RELAX NOW.

Maybe even just the letter 'T' would be better than 'Typewriter'. Or perhaps kill the overlay whenever the tool is activated until deselected, rather than only when floating over the active field. Nothing at all (beside a crosshair) would suit me best, I only need to know where the point is on the screen. All else is extraneous.

If it's not possible to kill custom cursors, and I don't think it is, can I suggest it be an option?

I dig that this would be waaaaaay down the priority list because you have to do things like 'fix stuff that is actually broken' and 'make sure the thing works'. But if we could sneak that in at some time that would be grouse and I'll be your best friend forever.

Love,
Matt
typewriter.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Custom Cursors (typewriter)

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Matt,

There is a way to turn that off for you. Please follow these steps:
1) Close the Editor (if opened).
2) Go to the Windows search bar and type in " regedit ", then right click and hit "Run as Administrator" - the Registry window will show up.
3) Navigate to the Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Tools folder.
4) See if there is a TypeWriter subfolder there. If not, you will have to create it manually. For that, right click on the Tools folder and choose New->Key. Name it "TypeWriter" if you have created the new key.
Capture.PNG
5) Select the TypeWriter folder and add new DWORD Value (right click on the TypeWriter folder New->DWORD (32-bit) Value). Name it "b.Preview". It will be set to 0 (false) by default that's what you need.
Capture1.PNG
5.1) If you want the preview to show but with random text (for example the T letter), then don't create the b.Preview value or set it to 1. Then you will have to create the "t.PreviewText" String Value and click modify - then set the text that you want.
Capture2.PNG
PS: Be sure to do all of that with the closed Editor.

Cheers,
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
MattyN
User

Post by MattyN »

Awww yiss! thank you Sasha for the detailed reply. That worked like a charm. As promised, I am now your best friend forever.

:)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:D
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

:)
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Just in case, if you are not familiar with regedit, there is a bit easier way.
1. In the Editor open JavaScript console (Ctrl + J)
2. copy and run the following script:

Code: Select all

app.setOption("Tools.TypeWriter.Preview", false);
done :)
Maybe even just the letter 'T' would be better than 'Typewriter'.
That's possible too. just run another script:

Code: Select all

app.setOption("Tools.TypeWriter.PreviewText", "T");
HTH
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.