SharePoint authentication

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

uk1000
User

SharePoint authentication

Post by uk1000 »

I have figured out which part of my SharePoint URL should be entered into PDFX-Editor to create a connection with SharePoint. Now I am asked for SharePoint user name and password (as expected). I'm asked to enter that into a PDFX user input box, not the more familiar 'Authenticating with Microsoft' browser dialogue box.

However tempted I am to enter this private information into the PDFX dialogue box, I see no mention of what is going to be done with this mission critical information, which, as it would give Admin access (as SP is currently configured) to whoever has that information. It is sacred.

My question is then: how does PDFX authenticate me with Microsoft? Does PDFX retain my credentials? Are they stored on my PC? In plain text? Sent to your servers? At what point does the usual 'Authenticating with Microsoft' box pop up? What exactly is the behind the scenes process?

I am extremely uncomfortable not to see the MS box and the secure process of authentication with their SharePoint server. Please advise.

I cannot see this subject in the FAQ. Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: SharePoint authentication

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello uk1000,
Thank you for the excellent questions, While I am unsure of the specifics on the back-end of things, I can assure you that your information is saved in a secure manner. I have asked a member of the development team to step in and share more details on the matter with us. As they are quite busy, please allow some time for their reply to appear, I am sure they will attend to us as soon as possible.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: SharePoint authentication

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The Editor does not store your credentials in your system, and for sure does not send it to any server (including ours) except the destination SP server.
Once authentication is successful, the Editor stores the so-called access token locally, this token is used for all future communications with the server.
Were we to use Windows Credential Manager or a web-based authentication mechanism, we would also get such an access token as the result of authentication.

In the future, we are going to use the native SP authentication mechanism as we do for other cloud services like DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.
Having so many different possible SP configurations makes it is a bit complex to satisfy all cases.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.