search in Cortana

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jakkaas
User

search in Cortana

Post by jakkaas »

Is there any way to select a word in pdf and search the word in windows cortana. Thanks
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: search in Cortana

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello jakkaas,

Can you give us some other program that does that as a sample? Because you can simply copy the word and paste it in the Cortana search box. And if it were possible with the search providers, you would have to right click the selected word and then click Search - same two actions.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

I can search the word in search engine but I don't want to open an browser for it. I can also copy paste in Cortana as suggested but it's too long of a process especially on touch screen.

The easy way I was looking for was similar to that of edge browser, where I select a word, right click, "Ask Cortana about word" and Cortana would popup on right side, without changing the active window.

I know It's a Microsoft product so it's integrated but wanted to know is this somehow possible with pdf-xchange.

Thanks
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello jakkaas,

From what I've investigated, this requires a Cortana Integration inside of our application. Whilst it's doable, it requires for us to buy the voice recognition key that works in pay per usage algorithm. Thus we simply cannot calculate the value of this integration and also we would have to think on how to charge each user by the amount of recognized words and also length of recognition. All of that is not that simple and we do not know whether this would be usable at all in our case for it's price.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

Oh. It's ok. I knew it would be difficult. Just found the feature useful for finding meaning of various words while reading an PDF without opening different types of dictionary for different subjects or by searching on an browser.

Thanks anyway for reply
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello jakkaas,

In theory, one can write a plugin of some sort that will take the data from some 3rd party program and display it in the Editor. For example, you get the word from the Editor, pass it via the plugin's code to some program, get some data in return (translation for example) and display it in a popup or some Edit box in the Editor. Though this will require some programming knowledge to do all of that stuff.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Cortana uses Bing. You can workaround the limitation of Editor:

- Make sure that Windows' mouse option to scroll over inactive windows is active.
- Drag the Edge window to the right edge of your screen. This will activate split view and Windows asks you to click on a second window to decide which to put side-by-side with Edge, choose Editor.
- Drag the splitting line between Editor and Edge left or right to change the ratio between the two windows.
- Make sure that Editor's internet search is active and make Bing (or whatever you prefer) your default search engine.
- Right-click any word/sentence in Editor and choose "Search Internet by:" to make the search result appear in Edge's window.
- Even though Edge will become the active window you still can scroll in Editor window via mouse-wheel. For keyboard commands you need to click the Editor window, though.
edge_search.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jakkaas
User

Post by jakkaas »

Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply. I am aware of this work around which it can be done with Google also but I was looking for something much better option which can show concise result and doesn't use screenspace.

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Apologies that we could not find a solution for you.
Hopefully in the future we will implement a function for you to accomplish this.
Until then, Best Regards!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com