Unable to select whole paragraphs with 'select text tool'

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kovigreg93
User

Unable to select whole paragraphs with 'select text tool'

Post by kovigreg93 »

Hi there,

I am using a free version of PDF XChange Editor and I have problem highlighting a multiple line text with the 'select text tool'. If the text fits to one line it's OK. But if a text is too long and it is written in multiple lines the text selection goes mad and selects other tests as well. (For example a text three lines above the text I've selected or even the whole document). This problem is very tiresome because I want to copy whole paragraphs from a pdf file to an excel file and currently the only way I can do so is to select the paragraphs line by line and paste it into the cell of the Excel.

The problem might occur because there are two coloums in my pdf file: in the first coloumn there is a picture and in the second coloumn there is the description (the paragraph that I want to copy and paste). Probably XChange Editor extends the selection to the 'picture' coloumn and that's why it cannot distinguish the paragraph precisely enough.

Please help me!

Best regards:
Gergely Kovács
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Unable to select whole paragraphs with 'select text tool'

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Gergely,

Thanks for the post - Can you send a sample file that you're struggling with? The issue is likely specific to the content of that file, as I'm not having any such issue with any samples I have here.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
kovigreg93
User

Post by kovigreg93 »

I attach an extract from the original document (as the original one is secret).

I noticed something strange: in the original document the text select tool can select texts (in the way I've previously written). But in this extract it is no longer able to select texts. Tell me if it's the same at your computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Koveigreg93,
It seem that this document was flattened to an image as part of the process by Microsoft Print to PDF.
Could I ask that you use the Editors "Extract Pages" function to re-create this document from the original and share it with us once more? The extract pages tool is located on the Organize tab.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com