CLI parmeter to open PDF files in Windows into already open viewer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BK200122
User

CLI parmeter to open PDF files in Windows into already open viewer

Post by BK200122 »

I am using XCE and a fileorganizer called FileJuggler on Windows 10.

The FileJuggler monitors my download folder for PDF files and processes them via rules.
One rule should open PDF in PDFViewer/XCE. I looked for command line parameters and found :open and :A
Anyway even without them it works.
In FileJuggler the argument is: "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Editor\PDFXEdit.exe" "File Path"

Problem is this works only for the 1st PDF I download via browser from the web or save from email client.
The 2nd and any more are only processed via FileJuggler and opened then in PDFViewer/XCE if I close this before!

Is there an special arguemt I can use to open PDF in already open viewer? I really have not expected this problem to occur in 2018 :(
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: CLI parmeter to open PDF files in Windows into already open viewer

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi BK200122,

there should be no need for any special commands. I ran a quick test to see what happens when calling multiple files from the command line consecutively and they each open in a new tab in the Editor:

Taking filejuggler out of the equation, do you see the same when making the calls from a command prompt this way?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Further to that test, we would like to know if the same thing happens when launching the Editor from the Windows File Explorer.

To test, please open a PDF in the Editor, then go back to the Windows File Explorer, and double click another PDF file. It should open in a new tab of the already open Editor. This test is essentially the same as the previous command line test but using Windows File Explorer rather than the command line.

Another good test would be to launch the Editor with Administrative rights, then test by using your FileJuggler with normal rights. Make sure there are no running instances of the Editor when you launch it as admin.

There is also another possibility, the problem can be caused by Windows User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI) which prevents sending information from processes with a lower integrity level (FileJuggler probably) to processes with a higher integrity (the already launched Editor).

You can test that using Process Explorer from Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s-explorer
Using this you can determine the Integrity Level by displaying the corresponding column:
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
BK200122
User

Post by BK200122 »

Great support!

Thank you for taking your time and looking so deeply into the problem.

I testest CLI, Win Explorer calls and they all worked flawless. As I expected for the last ten years I'd say :)
Your product is simply the best PDF viewer and editor of the world.

I also tested integrity levels and both XCE and FJ are loaded with medium integrity level after a reboot.
Closing XCE and restarting it with Admin rights and testing FJ behaviour it suddenly worked?!
This despite the fact you mentioned about Windows User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI).

I will have a closer look at this again and I hope things stay fine. So please consider this question as closed as long I do not return to it.

thank you
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback BK200122,

so if I understand you properly, you have no issues running the Editor with Admin rights. You shouldn't have to do that however and I suspect this may be an itch that my our developers will want to scratch.

I will call the case closed, but not resolved. Thank you for your support.

;-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke