Taking a screenshot and paste as picture (enhanced metafile) into MS word document fails

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mco
User

Taking a screenshot and paste as picture (enhanced metafile) into MS word document fails

Post by mco »

Dear supporters,

I´m running on Windows 10 and MS Word 2016 and also PDF-XChange Editor Plus 7.0 (Build 324.2) and focused a problem with taking screenshots and pasting them into a MS Word file.

Here´s the step by step procedure what I would like to do:

1) Take a screenshot in PDF-XChange
2) Change to MS Word document
3) On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click the arrow under Paste, click Paste Special, and then
4) Click Paste as "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)"

Chosing enhanced metafile keeps the storage size of the MS Word document small when copying and pasting a lot of screenshots.

The only problem is:

While the above step-by-step procedure works fine in Adobe Acrobat Reader, in PDF-XChange Editor I can only choose between the paste-options "Bitmap" and "device-independent Bitmap".

So what can I do, to paste a PDF-XChange taken screenshot as a Picture (enhanced metafile) into a MS Word Document?

Thanks in advance,
mco
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Taking a screenshot and paste as picture (enhanced metafile) into MS word document fails

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I suppose that the paste options that you get via Paste Special in Word are provided by PDF-XChange Editor.
I will leave it to Tracker Software Support to give you a correct answer on this question.

As a work-around, you can first paste as a "Bitmap" or as a "Device Independent Bitmap" in Word, then make a new copy of it, and paste it again via Paste Special. At that time you will get additional image formats like "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", but I guess - at that time - you will rather have to opt for the "Picture (PNG)" or "Picture (JPG)" formats to save space.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Taking a screenshot and paste as picture (enhanced metafile) into MS word document fails

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi MCO,

thanks for the post. I am afraid that is not surrently supported. I have raised a formal Feature Request around this. Please refer to RT#4453: Feature Request :: Editor :: Allow pasting snapshot tool images into Word with Paste as "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)" when asking about the status of this item.

While this is not a promise to deliver said feature it is a commitment to seriously investigating the possibility.

Also - Word has a feature to compress Pictures. You might find that helpful. Select the picture then find "Compress Pictures" on the "Format" tab.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com