Bad fax resolution if sending by PDFeditor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pdfcoder
User

Bad fax resolution if sending by PDFeditor

Post by pdfcoder »

Hello,
there seems to be a resolution problem while sending pages over fax from PDFeditor (full) through AVM FritzFax:

Word:
processing by MS word 2010
processing by MS word 2010
word.jpg (24.12 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
PDFeditor:
processing by PDFeditor
processing by PDFeditor
PDFeditor.jpg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Samples show same sheet on recipient's side, from sender once processed by MS Word, the other processed by PDFeditor.

Recipient cannot read page received from PDFeditor, its really unreadlable, low resolution.
PDFeditor is the only programm which processes such low resolution fax pages, all other common tools are working without this issue.

How to solve this issue while sending fax pages through PDFeditor? Recommended settings?

Thx and best regards, Chris
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bad fax resolution if sending by PDFeditor

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello pdfcoder,

Our product has settings from which you can change the resolution of the created PDF file.

Unfortunately, we cannot see what you see when you try to send the Fax so we can not tell you where exactly is located in your environment.

Could you please tell us what the AVM FritzFax is ( a hardware device or software product ), and also if it is possible please send us a screenshot of the window you see during the sending?

Regards.
self
User

Post by self »

Hello,
FritzFax ist a software addon für several AVM FritzBox routers (very ! common in Europe), which allows sending fax from every windows program to external fax receiver just by printing to avm-fax-printing driver.
Download:
http://download.avm.de/fritzbox/tools/f ... .07.04.exe
(FritzBox-Router seems to by necessary...)

Settings with Fritz-Printer driver opened:
fritz1.jpg
fritz2.jpg
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello self,

Thank you for the screenshots.

As far as I can see there is a setting about the quality.

pdfcoder,

Could you please try to change the quality and see if this affects the problem you have?

Regards.
pdfcoder
User

Post by pdfcoder »

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Could you please try to change the quality and see if this affects the problem you have?
No change if quality setting is changed in AVM fax printing driver. 200x200 is the highest possible resolution, all other programs do it fine with this setting.

If printing same pdf with SumatraPDF, recipient's resolution is much better and readable, sorry... 8)

In my opinion there must be a different document preparation/ processing between PDFeditor and most other programs not showing this issue.
Additional hint: Changing 'Modus zu Darstellen von Text' in PDFeditor (Auto/embedded font as contour/picture...) does not affect sad output.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I wonder if it is really needed to activate the check-box "Als Bild drucken" (Print as Image) in the Print dialog-box of PDF-XChange Editor.

I suppose that the fax-driver (FRITZfax Drucker) will do the conversion to a bitmap page by itself.

At my opinion, it goes wrong when PDF-XChange Editor is converting the page to 300x300 dots/inch and the fax-driver is converting it to 200x200 dpi on its turn. In that case a choice for 150x150 dpi might be better.

So, can you please try without activating the indicated check-box ?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy, that's a great point actually!

pdfcoder - Can you let us know if Willy's suggestion works?
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
pdfcoder
User

Post by pdfcoder »

Ok, I did some tests with settings shown in screenshot.

If converting (AddOn: "convert to pdf") a Word created text page to pdf by PDFeditor and sending this PDF by PDFcreator and AVM-fax-driver, recipient seems to be a little bit happy...

But:
If converting an incoming email in same way with MS Outlook to pdf, sending by fax, recipient cannot read it because of low resolution. So in my opinion there must be some differences in processing documents.
Screen-2018-08-13_09-44-36.jpg
Regards!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi pdfcoder,

Thanks for getting back to us, but I'm a little confused by this:
If converting an incoming email in same way with MS Outlook to pdf, sending by fax, recipient cannot read it because of low resolution. So in my opinion there must be some differences in processing documents.
Are you converting from MS Outlook to PDF using our Add-in, then printing from the Editor to the fax printer? Or are you printing directly to the fax printer from MS Outlook?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
pdfcoder
User

Post by pdfcoder »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Are you converting from MS Outlook to PDF using our Add-in, then printing from the Editor to the fax printer?
That's the way I did it.

Background:
If converting to pdf, resulting layout doesn't show the recipient's name on top with the black line (=Outlook style) ...
This way is useful if different names are sharing an account.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello pdfcoder

I have created a feature request to implement a 200 DPI option in the future, as it may help this in some cases. Below I have also mentioned a possible workaround.
#4456: Printing to 200 dpi default option
I cannot guarantee this will be implemented, but I can promise that it will be seriously considered.

As an interim, it is possible that the output may be clearer if you select the monochrome color override, as well as selecting the maximum resolution of 150.
DMKB18August26.png
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
pdfcoder
User

Post by pdfcoder »

Thank you very much!

I did some further tests, best settings for fax receiver are shown:
Screen-2018-08-14_20-28-18.jpg
But 'Auto' setting must differ processing resolution, for example if a blue marked link is embedded in text flow. Pls refer to last two rows, there is a jump to lower resolution:
The attachment Screen-2018-08-14_20-26-32.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Screen-2018-08-14_20-26-32.jpg
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

That is very odd indeed.
We will continue investigating the issue here to see if that can be improved in a future version, Apologies for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.
With that being said, it certainly appears that (with that being a link) the color option is not set to monochrome, which would cause issues as fax machines are inherently monochrome devices. Please confirm.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
pdfcoder
User

Post by pdfcoder »

With the settings shown above resolution for fax receiver is readable if source text ist monochrome black only. After first coloured text part (in my example a blue coloured link) resolution (or processing of coloured text...) changes to a lower one, the following text is not more readable, sorry...
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Alright, thank you for the feedback on that. As before we will continue looking into the issue, if you happen to find anything else that can improve this situation please let us know, we will do the same.
Until next time,

Support@pdf-xchange.com