PDF XChange Overlay functionality

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

EPRLondon
User

PDF XChange Overlay functionality

Post by EPRLondon »

Hi - I've seen some posts about overlay functionality in PDF Tools but not for PDF XChange Editor, as an Architectural practice our staff are continually looking for ways to streamline their workflow when viewing and commenting on PDF drawings. One feature that would be useful would be the ability to overlay one PDF with another and ideally with options to colorise one to differentiate between the two (but not essential).

I have found a sneaky workaround to achieve this overlay function by creating a signature of one PDF which makes the background transparent and then effectively it can be stamped over another PDF, as long as they are the same size/scale this works quite well. It would be great if a simple overlay button could be defined to do this rather than browsing to the signature setup screen.

Thanks - Mark
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF XChange Overlay functionality

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the post! The Editor doesn't have an overlay feature as such, but you can use the Organize --> Watermarks feature and select a file to use:

Other than that, the best option would be to download and test PDF-Tools:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads

You can try all of the features for free, for an unlimited time, but documents will be watermarked if you don't have a valid license.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
EPRLondon
User

Post by EPRLondon »

Thanks for the information and suggestion Will

I gave the watermark a try but the nice thing about the signature method is the ability to have multiple signatures and the interactive placement, ideal for manual alignment. Plus the property options allow for opacity setting too.
I was going to paste a screen shot here but failed to understand how the insert image function worked :(
Unfortunately purchasing another tool to do just a few tasks with PDF's when Editor does everything else won't be an option for us.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Mark,

Not a problem!

Regarding the opacity - this option exists in the Watermarks dialog too:

But I see your point about the interactive placement. Another option is the Stamp tool: It should do everything that you've described with the exception of the opacity, as that needs to be set prior to creating the stamp. So that's obviously up to you there.
Unfortunately purchasing another tool to do just a few tasks with PDF's when Editor does everything else won't be an option for us.
You wouldn't be purchasing a new license at full price, but could instead upgrade from an Editor license to PDF-Tools (includes the Editor and XChange Lite printer) for the difference in price +5%. It should be significantly cheaper (around $11 USD, I think).
I was going to paste a screen shot here but failed to understand how the insert image function worked :(
I upload the screen-shots to a private Imgur, then paste the share links in here:
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com