Feature request: Adding/Merge several pictures on one page

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

HaPe
User

Feature request: Adding/Merge several pictures on one page

Post by HaPe »

Yesterday I got inspired by the "Merge pages" thread.I would like to have a similar option for pictures.
First of all:
1. to right click on a picture and to select "Open in Editor" from the context menu is awesome.
2. to right click on several selected pictures and and let them have combined in Editor is awesome too even though each picture is on a separate page
3. to be able to use drag and drop for pictures - well again it's awesome .

Now my idea:
Why not remove the option "Combine in Editor" and just stick with the option "Open in Editor"?
As soon as the user selects this option he should be given a menu where he can at least select the following options:
1.the numbers of rows and columns.With this option the user can decide how many pictures he wants to have on one or more pages
2.paper size (I prefer Din A4 & custom size and not some random size that depends on the picture)

I am using a freeware tool(from one of your competitors) that does the job for me,but I would like to see it integrated in Editor
and also a bit improved menu-wise.(I don't really like the menu of this freeware tool - but it does the job almost perfectly)

I know that you guys have much more important task to do,but if you think it might be worth implementing it, it would be nice
to see it in some later releases.
HaPe

Arnold
User

Re: Feature request: Adding/Merge several pictures on one page

Post by Arnold »

I think you can do most of that using File -> New Document -> From Image Files
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the input Arnold!

Indeed that can be used.

And to answer HePe as well - the command line options are intended to be "one click" operations - so you click it and you then are ready to view the file(s) in the Editor, without further menus, windows and prompts. If a more sophisticated merging of images is needed - as Arnold said - open the Editor first, and then use the tools from in there as necessary!

Cheers,
Stefan
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Thanks Arnold & Stefan !

Yes indeed,that is what I was looking for.
I totally overlooked that "Option"-button,when I tried to create a pdf-file via File -> New Document -> From Image Files.
It's really time for me to visit an optician.
I just tried it and it's perfect.

I hope I didn't waste too much of your time .....
HaPe
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

No worries HaPe,
We are here to help!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

I tested the image feature thoroughly and achieved even better results compared to the freeware tool. :D :D

However while testing various options I encountered an unexpected behavior which doesn't affect me and my preferred settings
but you might want to have a look into it:
If I just disable the "True Color" compression (or all compressions) the size of the resulting pdf-file is much bigger than I expected.
For instance: a pdf-file containing only a 13.7MByte picture ends up with 57.67MByte! I would have expected a size of 14MByte-16MBytes.
In fact if I drag & drop the same picture from the Windows Explorer directly into the Editor window the size of the pdf-file
is 13.78MByte - almost the same size as the picture itself and also the processing time is much faster.

HaPe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello HePe,

Yes - if all compression is disabled - you can compare the size of the image inside the PDF file with e.g. a bmp of the same pixel count. Pretty much any other file format has some form of compression, and PDF files also usually use at least lossless compression where possible! But if you disable it explicitly - the contents will be stored uncompressed, and as you have noticed this results in huge files.

Regards,
Stefan
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:
But if you disable it explicitly - the contents will be stored uncompressed, and as you have noticed this results in huge files.

Regards,
Stefan
I fully understand that but my original(!) picture-file has the size of 13.7MByte.Why is it necessary to bump it up to 56.67MByte?
Wouldn't it be better to just insert the picture as it is and as it is obviously done via drag & drop?
There might be advantages to implement it this way but personally I will stick to the Editor's default which is full compression,as this gives
me outstanding results and the file size is decreased by more than 10 times without seeing any differences between the original and compressed file.
Again: I am happy with the image feature I was just curious about the compression algorithm

HaPe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello HaPe,

I've spoken with colleagues in the dev team, and they told me that unless we keep the image exactly as it is - we need to decompress it and then recompress it anew, so when you make changes to the compression (and in your case remove any compression) - we will generate a new image. It has something to do with the structure of PDF files and how things are stored inside - but I am not expert in this particular field myself, and can not claim I understand things as fully as the guys working with the code for those features! :)

Drag and drop apparently works differently and preserves the existing image compression.

Regards,
Stefan
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Stefan,
thanks for your explanation.It is obviously the way the Devs have to deal with all these compression features.
I can only repeat what I already wrote: I am very happy with the image tool.No need anymore to run a separate program
which was quite awkward.
Already re-customized my toolbar by adding an "Image command" to it :wink:
From now on I will be able by simply clicking on a single button to instantly do what usually took me too much time - what a relief as I use it
on a daily basis.

thanks again for your excellent product and support :)

HaPe
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com