Menu Shortcut Keys 326.0

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Menu Shortcut Keys 326.0

Post by Arnold »

In normal mode (no Keytips), the Alt shortcut keys for the Menu work great even if the Menu is hidden. However, if I enable Keytips, the shortcut keys for the Menu no longer work if it is hidden. Shouldn't it work the same either way? Are the shortcut keys meant to be the same under either setting? It would seem to me to be more logical that way.

At present the shortcut keys are different depending on whatever the setting is. Without Keytips selected, there is no shortcut key for Bookmarks. With Keytips selected the shortcut key is Y1, and not B as I would have expected. It looks like Help and Form shortcuts are different under each setting also. I don't believe with Bookmarks this is because it is a plugin, as the Sharepoint one seems to be the same with or without Keytips turned on. Windows XP & Windows 7.

Thanks.
Screenshot, no Keytips.png
Customize Toolbar Options.png
Menu No Keytips.png
Menu No Keytips.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Menu Keytips.png
Menu Keytips.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Menu Shortcut Keys 326.0

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Arnold wrote:In normal mode (no Keytips), the Alt shortcut keys for the Menu work great even if the Menu is hidden.
This is a bug, as when the menu is hidden it should be inaccessible. The keys are meant to be handled the same way in either case, Both are intended not to respond. I have created a bug report on the matter for our developers, you can rest assured it will be resolved in the future.
Arnold wrote:With Keytips selected the shortcut key is Y1, and not B as I would have expected.
This is due to a conflict between the back and bookmarks functions, The dev team are looking into it at the moment for us. As it stands, the Editor will alter and autonumber the hotkeys whenever there is a conflict like this.
Arnold wrote:Without Keytips selected, there is no shortcut key for Bookmarks.
When keytips is disabled, the oldstyle mechanism kicks in to cover it, in this case some functions simply never had a key assigned to them.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I think being able to access the Menu even if it is hidden is great. It saves screen real estate while still allowing the use of the Menu through shortcut keys. Does not seem to hurt anything. Couldn't it be set to work whether the Menu is hidden or visible?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Arnold,
That seems reasonable, I will alter the bug report I had filled out earlier to suggest that instead this "bug" could actually be a "feature"!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thanks. I think it is. Just needs to work the same when Keytips are both on and off. I noticed it because I have different settings on the Windows 7 & XP computers re Keytips for some reason.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for bringing this up Arnold!

It will certainly be considered!

Cheers,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Worth mentioning: Firefox also hides its menus and you can access them using the ALT key. I also mean to remember that it worked that way with Windows Explorer back when you where able to hide its menus. So keeping ALT active even when menus are hidden would be somewhat consistent with what people are used to.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Timur,

We have actually been talking about this just earlier today, The dev team has decided that we will be taking this as a feature request. We hope to have more news on this soon, but for now, as usual, I cannot give a guarantee on a timeline for implementation, however it already has been seriously considered.

Support@pdf-xchange.com