Insert Pages from PDF file - wrong page order

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

poiuz
User

Insert Pages from PDF file - wrong page order

Post by poiuz »

Hello everybody,

I am using PDF-XChange Editor 7.0.326.0 and I have to PDF files: A.pdf and B.pdf.

I want to insert pages 4 and 1 in this order from A.pdf into B.pdf.
If I put "4,1" in the pages field of the insert form, I would expect, that first page 4 and then page 1 will be inserted.
But the result is, that first page 1 and then page 4 is inserted.

This behaviour is shown with all comma separated pages lists. If I put "4,3,2,1" in the field, then pages 1, 2, 3, 4 are inserted in this order.
If I am not the only one who finds this unintuitive, maybe this could be adjusted in a future version.

Btw. I just tested what happens if I put "4-1" in the field, then the OK button is deactivated.
This behaviour could then be adjusted as well.

Kind regards,
poiuz
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Insert Pages from PDF file - wrong page order

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello poiuz,

When entering page ranges the syntax we use is this: coma separates ranges, and - defines a range.

So "1, 3-5, 9-11, 15" will take pages 1,3,4,5,9,10,11 and 15 and put them in the new file, but changing the order of the elements between the comas will not change the order in which they are taken from the file.

You can try the PDF Tools - there you can visually drag and drop pages between files, and easily rearrange them before doing the merge, so that you know exactly what order the pages will be from the start.

Regards,
Stefan
poiuz
User

Post by poiuz »

Wow, thanks for replying so fast, Stefan,

You are describing the current state very well.
I am proposing a change to a more intuitive behavoiur.

Please would you be so kind and answer me the following two questions:
If a user puts "10,7,3,1" in the insert pages field, do you think he wants to insert pages in this particular order or that he wants them inserted in the reverse order 1, 3, 7, 10?
If a user puts "10,10,10" in the insert pages field, do you think he wants to insert the page 10 three times or that he wants to insert page 10 only once?

Kind regards,
poiuz
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Poiuz,

I've created the FR ticket:
#4421: FR: Insert Pages from PDF file - ability to specify 'inverse' page ranges, and pages to be inserted in the order specified.
So that it can be considered, and if approved - we will work on implementing this feature in the future!

Cheers,
Stefan
poiuz
User

Post by poiuz »

Hooray! Thanks Stefan.

Since printing works the same intuitive way (putting "10,7,3,7,3,1" in the printing pages field, prints exactly those pages in the given order and not pages 1, 3, 7 and then 10) I am positive that this ticket will be approved.

Kind regards,
poiuz
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello poiuz,

That's exactly the same as the remark that I did in the ticket, so indeed it seems like it is already almost possible!

Will let you know as soon as there's any news in the ticket!

Cheers,
Stefan