alt + text selection

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mozillafi
User

alt + text selection

Post by mozillafi »

When selecting a table column, the tool tends to select also the adjacent column, because there are some space between the columns, it thinks that they are the same phrase. Is there anyway to disable selecting adjacent word so that alt+select (click) select only words in the rectangle? thanks (please see attached file, try to select only column 1)
Attachments
test.pdf
(151.02 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
mozillafi
User

Re: alt + text selection

Post by mozillafi »

The only work around I find is to use abobe reader to do so.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mozillafi,

The way Word has converted this file to PDF is rather unusual - and each of the cells in your file has a separate "container" for the text inside.
This causes us some issues when selecting the text.
I was able to select only the second column:
text_selection.png
text_selection.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 998 times
But that did require some precision :)

I will check with my colleagues from the dev team to see if we can improve the selection algorithms for situations like with your sample file.

Regards,
Stefan
mozillafi
User

Post by mozillafi »

It's a conversion from word document, it's rather a standard one in my openion. as I already said, adobe reader do the selection correctly. thanks
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi mozillafi,

While you are correct in the Adobe handles this quite well, what Stefan was saying is still true: the Word document was very likely a normal, run-of-the-mill Word document, but the way that Word itself has converted the file to PDF is not optimal and is unusual. Generally Word's conversion is quite good in appearance, but often has flaws such as this that are sub-surface.

Either, we'll certainly look into improving the selection here as it isn't quite right and could definitely be handled better.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com