Changing tab-key field order

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MrZebulon
User

Changing tab-key field order

Post by MrZebulon »

Hello All.
I am testing the pro version and messed up the fields in a form a little.
Is it possible to change the tab-order (jumping from one filed to another) without deleting and reinserting new fields?
This would be very handy.
Many thanks
Kind regards
Roland
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Changing tab-key field order

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello MrZebulon,

Yes re-ordering or form fields is certainly possible, the below instructions may help:

1. Click the View tab.

2. Click Panes, and then select Fields.
The Fields pane will open.

3. Click Options. The Options submenu will open.

4. Click Order by Pages.
1806251024.png
1806251024.png (15.85 KiB) Viewed 2238 times

5. Click and drag fields within the Fields pane to reorder them.
1806251025.png
1806251025.png (12.7 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MrZebulon
User

Post by MrZebulon »

Hello Daniel.

This is brilliant and saves me a lot of time and work.
Many thanks. :D
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
confianza
User

Post by confianza »

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I am unable to get the field to move by clicking on them and dragging. All I end up doing is highlighting multiple fields. Is there some setting or other I need to change to be able to get the fields to move by clicking and dragging within the fields pane?

I used the "problem steps recorder" tool in Windows to try to record a screen video of what I'm seeing, but I don't know if that's a tool that works on forums like this. Let me know if I should try to find a different tool to document what I'm experiencing.

OK, I found a different tool that allowed me to record my screen then paused it and snipped a shot of me trying to click and drag the fields to change the tab order. I'm almost sure I'm just missing something obvious.
Attachments
trying to re-order tab order.JPG
change tab order.zip
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
confianza
User

Post by confianza »

Wow, I might be too dumb to use forums. I somehow created this post which was just a quote of my previous post and now I can't delete it.

Sigh.. I'm embarrassed. :? :oops:
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

It seems like you have to grab the fields by clicking on their name (or on their icon) in their field-box and then drag-and-drop.

In case you click just before or just after their name (or their icon) in the field-box, you are not able to move them.

Can you confirm this ?

Best regards.
confianza
User

Post by confianza »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Hello,

It seems like you have to grab the fields by clicking on their name (or on their icon) in their field-box and then drag-and-drop.

In case you click just before or just after their name (or their icon) in the field-box, you are not able to move them.

Can you confirm this ?

Best regards.
Actually no, it doesn't matter where I click within their field boxes, I am unable to move them in any way.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Maybe just read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23326

Especially, these sentences:

One note to others with this problem: In the field pane, after ordering by page, you may not be able to move the fields into the desired tab order. It wouldn't work for me until I changed the settings in Options - Tab Order from "Manual" to "Order tabs by structure." After clicking on that, I could move the tabs by clicking, holding till an orange line appears, and dragging the tab.

Regards.
confianza
User

Post by confianza »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Maybe just read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23326
That thread did provide help. I saw that for some other people the ability to drag and drop form fields from within the field box didn't appear until they closed and re-started the program. Once I did so I was able to move fields as described. By the way, I'm sorry for essentially asking the same question as in the thread you suggested. I did try to search for this topic, but obviously I didn't go a good job. I know forums work best when people read the answers to similar questions before asking their own. :oops:

For me, though, I ended up abandoning the idea of attempting to change the tab-order of fields because it seems doing so necessitates manually assigning an order to all 120 fields in my little form. I'd wanted to re-order two sections (and maybe, remove a few sections from the tab-order entirely) but moving one field pulled all other fields out of order. In my case, having the tab order set by column comes reasonably close to getting me what I think I want and I'd hoped I could preserve the basic order "by column" creates, but moving even one field to a different place seems to undo the "by column" order and replace it with something else. In this case it's not worth re-ordering the whole thing by hand, but now at least I have a better understanding.
Attachments
Checklist for New Policies Fillable .pdf
(136.89 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Moving one tab - via Order Tabs Manually - should not have an influence on all the other tabs.

To me, this seems like an unexpected behavior that has to be verified by Tracker Software Support.

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello everyone,
I do agree that the handling can be a little confusing, and will speak with the team about how we can improve that, any suggestions are appreciated.

For the time being, I believe the managing fields section of our fillable forms KB article should help you: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... s#Managing
Note that the Select fields tool must be selected in order to reorder the fields.
As for reordering simply one or two fields, if you ensure to use the "order by pages" function within this pane, the tab current tab order should stay preserved and allow manual edits.

Support@pdf-xchange.com