Lite (virtual printer) dumps links on eMails & Webpages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bawldiggle
User

Lite (virtual printer) dumps links on eMails & Webpages

Post by bawldiggle »

I hope I am in the correct forum, it is several months since I was here, and the INDEX has changed :
---------------
Is (free) PDF-XChange Lite the current virtual printer that is distributed with (paid) PDF-XChange Editor :?:

My current (free) Lite version is 7.0.324.3 ... according "Program and Features" (Control Panel)

In Program and Features (Control Panel) Lite is listed as "PDF-XChange Lite Home"
- is free Lite Home a crippled version of paid Lite :?:

80% of my emails printed as PDF ... the links are not saved :Rather pointless :(
50% of web pages are printed without any links ... I have to resort to another brand of HTML to PDF to get a better than good (perfect) PDF with all links preserved
The only web pages that resist all attempts to saveAs PDF are some Microsoft technical-help/forums

I am considering buying PDF-XChange Editor but if my current experience with Lite is the best I can expect ...
... it's back to the drawing board for me
Somewhere I read Tracker advocate using Internet Explorer ... probably number 5 or 6 of common browsers ?
I am running IE-11 as my 3rd choice of browsers, because IE is such a mediocre performer

I would appreciate official comments on free ~Lite Home vs paid ~Editor Lite
Thank you :)
the-bald-won
Free PDF-XChange Editor since 12-Aug-2018
Free PDF-XChange Viewer for too long
... cautiously testing Editor
• Win-7 PRO 64bit | Win-7 Home 64-bit | Win-7 Home 32-bit ... fiddling with Linux Mint too
• ClassicShell GUI
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Lite (virtual printer) dumps links on eMails & Webpages

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) For as far as I know, the PDF-XChange Lite printer included in the PDF-XChange Editor installation package is NOT the free version.
In case you do not have a valid license for PDF-XChange Editor, the PDF-XChange Lite printer will put publicity stamps on your PDF pages.

So, if you have NO commercial benefits from using their PDF-XChange Lite printer, then you should NOT install it on the hand of the PDF-XChange Editor installer, but download the PDF-XChange Lite FREE installer and use that one.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... hange-lite

2) When you like to keep hyperlinks working in the resulting PDF:

- in case you print mails, you will have to look for a kind of plugin or add-in for your email application so that hyperlinks like "click here" will keep working. Tracker Software offers MS Office add-ons (part of the PDF-XChange Standard printer installer) that are capable of doing such a thing in Microsoft Outlook.

- in case you print web pages from within Internet Explorer, then Tracker Software offers the "Convert to PDF" add-in (part of the PDF-XChange Standard printer installer).

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... e-standard

- in case you print web pages from within Google Chrome, then you can use the "Print" option (from Google Chrome) and select "Save as PDF" as destination.

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Lite (virtual printer) dumps links on eMails & Webpages

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Awesome answer, thanks Willy!

Just to elaborate on Willy's 2nd point - This is due to the way that Windows handles printing: all information that is not necessary to print to paper is stripped before the printer actually takes control of the print job. This is, as Willy said, why we created the add-in for Internet Explorer.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com