Launch Application Toolbar

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

HaPe
User

Launch Application Toolbar

Post by HaPe »

I know that I was once able to launch additional programs listed in the "Launch Application Toolbar".
The only program that I can launch is "Adobe Reader DC". Any other manually added programs like PDF Tools won't run - only
the hour glass pops up for a couple of seconds and nothing else happens.
The first time I realized that it doesn't work anymore was using version 325.0.
It is not something that I urgently need but sometimes it was quite nice to run a separate application from inside Editor.
Is this a known bug? ( I am currently using v325.1)
HaPe
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Launch Application Toolbar

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi HaPe
Can I ask what other programs are having this issue?
Many applications, like PDF-Tools are not intended to open PDF files directly. Tools is actually the perfect example program for this issue as well. While you could associate any program to this button (for example at home I could set the editor to open World of Warcraft, which as a video game evidently cannot handle PDF files), some programs that can handle PDFs (Ex: Tools) do not have a default function set, and as such will not open. Tools is able to process PDF only after a function has been selected, it has no true "Viewing" functionality, like adobe, word, foxit, etc. offer.

Unless there are programs that should be able to open PDF format directly that this does not work with, this is not a bug, it is a feature.

Please if there are any programs you know of that do not open files from using this button that should, let us know so that we can address it.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Daniel,
sorry I wasn't totally correct when I said I cannot run any additional programs.
I was mainly concentrating on PDF-Tools v6 and the older PDF Tools 4
I just tried some other random programs and had no problems with them.
I was never able to run PDF-Tool 4 (which I still keep for some reasons)
but I vaguely remember being able to launch PDF Tools 6.
Hmm - given your explanation it seems to me that I have put up with it - not a big deal.
At least I now know that I don't have to try anymore with every new Editor version.

HaPe
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:D