Willing to change from Viewer to Editor but do not like the Editor Layout

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Ludwig
User

Willing to change from Viewer to Editor but do not like the Editor Layout

Post by Ludwig »

Hi there,

I am using the XChange Viewer Pro for quite a while now and normally I would not have thought of changing to another software. But now I have got a new computer and it does not seem that I can transfer the license key to the new one (or can I?).

Anyway, as the Viewer is not developed any further and displaced by the Editor I am willing to consider moving to the Editor. Fortunately the Editor has all the Viewer's features so I would not miss anything. The only thing that prevents me from moving and from buying a new license key is the layout of the Editor. The Viewer allowed me to fully personalise the toolbar and to keep it thin and small, only displaying the features that I needed in an one-click reach
xchangeviewer.jpg
Now, look at the Editor's toolbar - how big its icons are and how much it steals from my pdf file!
pdf editor.jpg

Is it possible to personalise the Editor's toolbar like the Viewer's? When using the Viewer I had only ONE static toolbar with a nice menu navigation in case I needed more features. Now, there are several toolbars (Home, View, Comment...) what forces me to click more often in order to get the feature I want. And some icons are weigh too big, or more precise: not the icons themselves are too big, they only have an unnecessary big frame around them. Is it possible to change that? And is it possible to have ALL information I want displayed above the document, like page number and page navigation?

Thanks a lot
Ludwig
Attachments
xchangeviewer2.jpg
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Willing to change from Viewer to Editor but do not like the Editor Layout

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Ludwig,
You can certainly reuse the old license, Provided that it has not been upgraded already, Simply log in to your user account here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/login
You will be presented with the appropriate installer for your version of our software, as well as upgrade options (Hooray Discounts!)
If you have not created an account, have you license key ready during account creation and it will automatically associate itself to your new account when you enter it (so long as another user hasn't already used it).

The Editor UI is actually more customizable than the Viewers is, It also has two different UI options, Classic (like the viewer), and Ribbon (heavily demanded, akin to MS Office) This article details the Toolbar customization process: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... the-Editor
As examples,
here is a screenshot of the basic unedited Ribbon UI:
Here is one of the Basic unedited Classic UI:
And finally, here is a highly customized Classic UI from one of most active forum users, Credit for this work goes to Arnold:
This one has tones of nested tools, and I assume he is an advanced user who uses hotkeys to access most of these, so the UI feels very clean:

Hope that helps!

(Edit: I did not notice how long of a post this was until I hit submit, wow...)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com