Copy text from pdf - paste into word in successive rows, not row separated based on PDF

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Retko
User

Copy text from pdf - paste into word in successive rows, not row separated based on PDF

Post by Retko »

Hello,

When I past text which is copied from PDF-Xchange to Word, rows of text stays the same as in the PDF,
For example, if PDF has this rows:

AAAAA AAAA BBBB
BBBB CCCC DD
DDD
FFFF

After pasting into word, I also will have 4 rows. What I want is to make it successive, like this:
AAAAA AAAA BBBB BBBB CCCC DD DDD FFFF

And I want it automatically, without the need to use delete at the end of each row.

Can someone help me? Is it possible?

Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Copy text from pdf - paste into word in successive rows, not row separated based on PDF

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In Microsoft Word, you use the "Find and Replace" function:
- in Find what, click the "Special" button
- select "Paragraph Marks" or "Manual Line Breaks"
- in Replace with, you can leave this empty, or type a space character
- click the "Replace All" button
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retko
User

Re: Copy text from pdf - paste into word in successive rows, not row separated based on PDF

Post by Retko »

Not exactly what I want.

I dont want to delete all paragraph marks in my word, just at the text that I am pasting.
There must be some easier solution, or probably setting.

Thanks.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

If you first select the text, then you can run the replace just for that selection.

For as far as I know, there is no out-of-the-box solution for what you like to achieve.

Maybe if one could write a macro in Word that does the "Paste" by first removing the line breaks.
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Free Clipboard manager Ditto has ability removing CRLF while pasting
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
Willy Van Nuffel
User

I had a short look at Ditto and yes it seems to be possible to remove one or more 'unwanted' characters.
But, this has to be done via 'ChaiScript'. Examples are provided, but we do not know if Retko is prepared to try this.
A lot depends of the frequency of the Copy/Paste actions.

So, I would give:
- the link to Ditto's homepage on sourceforge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ditto-cp/

- the link to the scripting examples:
https://sourceforge.net/p/ditto-cp/wiki/Scripting/

On the other hand, (for me) this is somewhat out of the scope of the Tracker Software forum.

Best regards.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Retko,

You can use Excel to do this job.

Paste the text to Excel, click on a cell in which you want to put the edited text.

After that, click on the Insert Function button.
Search for the CONCATENATE function and select the cells you want to combine:
concatenate.JPG
Or you can use online tool like Text to One Line ( Google it ) :-)

Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Sorry for the offtopic
2Willy Van Nuffel
Ditto can this "out of the box":
Untitled.png
In any case I don't advertise Ditto.
Sorry for the offtopic
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

There seem to be many ways to achieve what he wants.

The only thing left now is choosing one of them. :-)

Regards.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

I just recently ran into the same problem (and posted a corresponding feature suggestion), so I did some internet search and found my solution in form of a Autohotkey script. The script removes newlines and hyphens "-" at the end of a line while keeping paragraphs intact (except for single headlines, which become the first sentence of a paragraph instead).

But: It converts Rich Text formatting to pure text, which is not always useful.

And since Editor knows best about the formatting, paragraphs and whatnot of a PDF it would make sense if Editor could offer a tool to copy text without newlines and hyphens, while keeping the overall structure intact.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Timur Born,

I will check, and if such feature request is not submitted, I will make one.

This looks like a nice feature to have in our products ( and rare one too ).

Regards.