combine / split text boxes  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

FERNANDO724160
User

combine / split text boxes

Post by FERNANDO724160 »

Hello, how do I stop pdf-xchange from automatically combining 2 text boxes in a same block. PDF-xchange ramdomly and automatically asumes that the 2 block of text belong together.

As you can see in the attachment, I have 2 very similar tables. The top table, PDF-Xchange consider the whole table as one text box. The second table, there is a (1) box with 4 text blocks, 2 text blocks and a box with 2 text blocks. How can i divide them into individual text boxes? And, which criterium is used to make this kind of agrupation?

thanks in advance.

Fernado
Attachments
pdf xchange - txt box.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: combine / split text boxes  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Fernado,

The option to turn this on/off is here:
text_blocks.png
The PDF structure allows each separate letter to be an individual text object, and when those are all rendered on screen for you they could still look like a continuous text. However Editing text letter by letter (or even line by line as is the more common case) is not really convenient. So we try to recognize such text elements and offer you the ability to edit them as a single block of continuous text. If you turn that option off - the recognition will be off, and you can then edit the text elements directly - but that will be editing them as objects just like rectangles, and not editing the text inside these same objects.

The algorithms are created by our dev team and I do not have the exact specification here at hand - but they are quite complicated and there's no way to control them from the front end other than turn them on or off with the command from the above screenshot.

Regards,
Stefan
FERNANDO724160
User

Re: combine / split text boxes

Post by FERNANDO724160 »

Hello Stefan,

This was exatly what I was looking for. :D

Thank you very much!

EDIT:
When I uncheck the "edit text elemnts as blocks" it does not allow me to modify any text. Is this normal? or is there a way to edit the text when the option is unchecked?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: combine / split text boxes

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Fernando,

Yes this is normal, we are working on enhancing the feature, but currently that is the expected behavior, You can use this in conjunction with "Edit text" to pull strings of text out of the text block for easy single line editing.
in the future there may be a new feature to make this easier :)
Have a great day!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com