PDF-XChange Editor Plus Portable and Google Drive Issue

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

HOTGA
User

PDF-XChange Editor Plus Portable and Google Drive Issue

Post by HOTGA »

Hi,

I am a long time user and fan of Tracker software.

I currently use a portable version of PDF-XChange Editor Plus due restrictions at work on using the installed version.

I noticed an annoying bug in the portable version that I hope can be fixed in the next release.

When saving a file from the portable version of PDF-XChange Editor Plus to your Google Drive you get a dialogue that pops up and takes you to your Google Drive root folder. From there you navigate to the correct subfolder on your Google Drive and save your file. This works OK for the first file that you save. However, after you do this once PDF-XChange Editor Plus locks itself to that that Google Drive subfolder and you cannot navigate away from it at all when you save your next document to your Google Drive. The only way to break this lock is to entirely close off PDF-XChange Editor Plus including all open documents and start it again at which point the process repeats after you save your first file to Google Drive.

Please can you fix this so that the portable version of PDF-XChange Editor Plus does not lock itself to subfolders in users Google Drive.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor Plus Portable and Google Drive Issue

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello HOTGA,

Can you please start the Editor, and go to Help -> About, and confirm if you have build 325? If you are using an older one - please make sure to update to the latest - and then if the issue with Google Drive is still there we will look into this further!

Regards,
Stefan
HOTGA
User

Post by HOTGA »

Hi Stefan,

I have tested the issue with build 325 and unfortunately the problem still persists.

I would also like to make two new feature requests for the Editor, one of which I imagine would be easy to implement, and the other may be perhaps an addition for a future version of Editor Plus as it may be harder to implement:

1. (easy) - a side by side windows scroller that will allow you to scroll through two open pdfs side by side at the same time like you can do in Microsoft Word; and

2. (harder) - a pdf comparison utility to compare the changes between two pdfs (if possible) - the closest that I have seen software come to doing a good job of this is diffpdf - http://www.qtrac.eu/diffpdf.html but it fails to do a good job when the layout of one pdf differs too much from a second pdf.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

HOTGA
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello HOTGA,

Both of the new features that you've mentioned are being worked on at the moment - and in active development!
As for the issue with Google Drive - I will pass it along to the team working on this so that they can check it!

Regards,
Stefan
HOTGA
User

Post by HOTGA »

Hi Stefan,

I hope that you are going well.

Out of interest are there any plans to release any of the two features that I requested in my previous post in any upcoming build of PDF-XChange Editor Plus? Those features were:

1. (easy) - a side by side windows scroller that will allow you to scroll through two open pdfs side by side at the same time like you can do in Microsoft Word; and

2. (harder) - a pdf comparison utility to compare the changes between two pdfs (if possible) - the closest that I have seen software come to doing a good job of this is diffpdf - http://www.qtrac.eu/diffpdf.html but it fails to do a good job when the layout of one pdf differs too much from a second pdf.

Any update regarding the above would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

HOTGA
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello HOTGA,

We have made some progress:

Side by side view of the same document.
Document_Split.png
Side by side view of different documents.
documents_tabs.png

We are still working on the PDF comparison feature.

Regards.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Side by side view does not offer to scroll both windows at the same time, though. This would help with manual comparison until a more automatic comparison tool is available.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Yes, but we are still making improvements.
That's why we do appreciate any feedback. :-)

Regards.