position of a (text-)object and text groups

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Thomas W.
User

position of a (text-)object and text groups

Post by Thomas W. »

If I do edit text object in a pdf file using PDF-XChange-Editor it is drawing small gray outlines around some text objects (see picture "outline around some text objects"). If I do select this the enclosed text objects are highlithed in the content pane (see picture "properties of some text objects").
Here are my questions:
  • In the content pane I cannot see any group of the enclosed text objects. Can I make this visible?
  • If I do select a text box I do get the properties of the enclosed text in the properties pane. But there ist none x or y position properties. I there a way I can edit the position directly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: position of a (text-)object and text groups

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Thomas W,

The Editor tries to determine if a collection of text objects can be considered a single block, and when you do select such a block - you can work with it as if it is a single object, but in fact it can consist of many text elements. The PDF specification does not internally provide much of a "grouping" feature, so the elements will stay together.

Aso for the coordinates - once you have anything selected - try the Selection -> Transform... option:
transform.png
And you can then modify the position as needed.

Regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thomas W.
User

Post by Thomas W. »

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your reply. The transformation tool works fine for me.
Does I understand you right, that's there is no special combining box for the text elements but PDF-XChange Editor tries to recognize pattern between the text objects and handles it e. g. as an paragraph?

Regards,
Thomas
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Thomas,

You are effectively correct.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America