Network files become unavailable after waking from sleep.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mmc71
User

PXE, standby and network shares

Post by mmc71 »

My computer does not wake up from standy mode any more when PXE has opened a .pdf document from my NAS network share. This behaviour is 100 percent reproducible. Moreover, the opened document seems to be corrupted and PXE can not open it again though the network connection is available. Also reboot does not help. But, after a couple of minutes the document seems to be recovered and PXE can process it again without problems. Strange but true.

I've installed PXE 7.0 Build 324.3. Any solutions ?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PXE, standby and network shares

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello mmc71,

Thanks for your post and report.
I've asked a colleague from the dev team to take a look and once he has done so - we will advise what further actions need to be taken or if we need any more info from you - we will ask!

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello again mmc71,

We are aware of an issue that after waking from sleep/standby files opened from Network Shares / CD cards may not be available until you reopen them, but such an issue with corruption is not something we have seen before. We suspect this might have something to do with the drivers for your machine. Can you please check and see if you can reproduce the same problem with another device and the same network storage?

Regards,
Stefan
mmc71
User

Post by mmc71 »

Hello Stefan,

maybe corruption isn't the right expression because the files can be opened again after a couple of minutes. Maybe it has to do with the network. I don't know. I'll try to reproduce this with another computer from the same network. I haven't done this yet, but I'll report back.

Regards, Michael
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Looking forward to hearing the results!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
mmc71
User

Post by mmc71 »

In the meantime I was able to test with 2 computers. One desktop and one notebook both running in the same subnet with Windows 10 Pro x64. Pdf files are stored on a synology NAS.

It seems that the stanby mode is not the problem. After a relatively short standby period, both systems wake up without problems. PXE sometimes looses the connection to the open files but offers immediately to reload them. This was successful in all cases.

The problems start when the system enter the hibernation mode after a longer standy time. My systems enter this state after one hour of standby. Now my two systems behave differently. My notebook wakes up and can reload open files successfully. However, non-saved changes are lost. Moreover, compared to the standby mode it takes much more time until PXE is able to re-open the files, though the network has been recovered very fast. No idea what is causing this delay.

My desktop crashes completely and does not wake up any more. This happenes only when PXE is running and has opened at least one Pdf from the network. As long as the pdf is stored locally, everything is fine. After reboot, windows complains that the file system is corrupt and starts chkdsk. Chkdsk usually finds lost data whatever the file content is. Maybe some temporary PXE data ? All this does never and has never happened with any other application I'm running.

As a consequence I have switched off the hibernation mode for now. Both PCs stay in standby mode and I havent't seen any crashes, yet.

I hope this short report helps.

Regards, Michael
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi mmc71,

As you've only been able to reproduce this wil a longer delay on hibernate/sleep. Myself and patrick will be testing this over the next week.
Hopefully we can reproduce it sooner than later.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnaut
User

Network files become unavailable after waking from sleep.

Post by Arnaut »

Hi,

I'm using PDF-XChange Editor 7.0.325.1. I have two problems after waking from sleep:

1) A file on the network that was previously open becomes unavailable (after some scrolling) with the following Pop-Up dialog error message:

Document unavailable.
The document .. is no longer available and will be closed.
Please check your network connect and attaced data storage resources.

(There is a "Show Problems Details ..." button that appears above the document, but it is unclickable because the above dialog box grabs and retains focus.)

2) After I receive the above message I'm given the option of reopening the file. If I click Reopen then the file is opened but it's tab order is not preserved, it always opens as the last tab.

[Edit 1]
Let me add that this does not happen with small files, it only happens with large files, like ones with over 100 pages. And it may take some scrolling for the above effect to appear. So scroll up and down through the whole document once or twice.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Network files become unavailable after waking from sleep.

Hello Arnaut,
I have merged your post with this one as they seem to be the exact same issue. Previously Patrick and I have been unable to reproduce this issue, and of course it is a difficult one to reproduce as we cannot leave our workstations in sleep mode for multiple hours at a time during the work day.

Can you verify whether this happens with the PC in sleep or hibernate mode (or both). On the topic of large files as well, "Large" is a relative term, so for an accurate test, can you tell me what the size of those documents are, as well as send a screenshot of the performance menu in your version of the editor, this is the information I am looking for:

This is available under Preferences (CTRL+K) > Performance.

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnaut
User

Post by Arnaut »

Hi,

Is there a way to attach the screen shot without me having to first upload it to imgur?

It happens in both sleep and hibernate mode. I have a window with 5 tabs open, each of size:
2.5 MB
4.5 MB
6.5 MB
4.7 MB
1 MB
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

I am using a dark theme since I stare are these forums all day long, and it is easier on my eyes, but the button should be in a similar spot.
You can also drag and drop the file into the reply box while typing to upload it.
180516563.png
Hope this helps!

P.S.
Are you on a wired network connection or a wireless one?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnaut
User

Post by Arnaut »

Here is the requested screenshot:
performance_menu.png
I'm on a wired network.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thank you for this.
Now to continue testing!

Support@pdf-xchange.com